Powered by Blogger.

Yearend Review: Career

29 December 2014

This year reminded me of how great God's plans are. I bear witness to the cliche "Everything happens for a reason" and I am humbled that, despite the many moments of doubt and anxiety, He saw me fit to place me where I am now.

Palang, a former colleague, shared to me the favorite question that her boss would ask the newbies. The question was "Nakikita mo ba ang sarili mo sa trabaho mo?" It was a loaded question and it was something that I threw at people and also to myself.

"Nakikita ko ba ang sarili ko sa trabaho ko?" Now, I can finally say yes. 


My current job is a great blessing for me. I love what I'm doing. I am passionate about what I am selling. I am making full use of all my faculties. I am enjoying a lot of autonomy. I'm stressed sometimes but it's a healthy kind of stress and it's nothing compared to what I've been through before. Other than that, I love working with the people around me, people who coincidentally share my convictions and values and are also passionate about their work.

Make no mistake: the year was a struggle for me. I knew that the moment I decided to step into another industry. But I've never been so optimistic about what I'm doing. I'm also very grateful for the privilege to make a great impact through my job.

Walking down memory lane, I cannot help but notice how He had guided me through my professional life and how things had to happen like they did. 

My first job was with my current company back when it was still known by another name. I was based in Manila for a year and a month before I went back to Davao, citing familiar reasons like poor quality of life, missing my family etc. During my stint, I met good people including Alfie, Ma'am Len, and the Casibang grassweeds, learned firsthand lessons on office politics, and found out what were the things I valued most.

My second job was with a bank. Looking back, that bank gave so much to me. I met new friends, learned a lot of lessons ranging from what to do and what not to do, gained technical knowledge on lending practices, mortgages, and so on.

Unfortunately, I had a messy breakup with my second company over an ethical stand and I harbored a lot of mixed emotions over what happened. But, again, I had to leave because I wouldn't be here if I had stayed.

My third job with another bank was a brief interlude. But it was also a critical junction leading me to my current company; it led me to Sir Chris and Sir Urk and reintroduced me to Alfie and Ma'am Len. When I found out I was due for regularization, I smiled and tendered my resignation.

Everything looks clearer in hindsight and I can only marvel at what has transpired. My career this year has been a series of blessings. For next year, I'm looking forward to bigger things.

To God be the glory.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy