Powered by Blogger.

Yearend Review: Service

29 December 2014

It's been a long time since I've served or volunteered. I made sure that this year, I went back to service.

I give credit to Bro Rommel, a fellow brother in the community, for pushing me to service. Since I didn't know where to start, he gave me the idea to serve the community first, Ang Lingkod Ng Panginoon (ALNP).

So I began my renewed call to service by doing the little errands. First, Bro Jeff and I scouted the venue during the anniversary. Then, during events, I did the little things like cleaning up, doing the arrangements, and so on. During the Christian Life Series (CLS), I was tasked to be an assistant Discussion Group Lead (DGL). Inevitably, with this assignment, I was assigned as the assistant Action Group Lead (AGL). Then, I gave talks during the Lingkod Weekend and the Life in the Spirit Seminar (LSS). Eventually, the year culminated with me being tasked to join the Online Evangelization team of the ALNP-Davao branch. Throughout the year, I also had a privilege to join feeding programs organized by the brothers.

Looking back, when I said yes, God also qualified that yes by giving me a lot of opportunities to serve Him. To be honest, there were times when I felt overwhelmed. But He, time and again, never failed to give me the necessary provisions that I needed to do my work.

To close, during one of our meetings in our Action Group (AG), one brother remarked that most of our service was confined only to the community. In that case, what about the people who need us outside the community?

Back then (and probably even now), I was tempted to ask him if he is serving.  But it was a valid observation nonetheless. My take is that each of us is obviously called to service. Yet, despite the call, we also have to start with the places we are familiar with.

In my case, the ideal starting point was the community and how we can help each other become better Christians. Later on, my level of service and commitment may evolve to such an extent that I have to venture outside to serve. But the fact still remains that, at least, I started serving. At least, this year, I decided to say yes.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy