Powered by Blogger.

Why I Don't Post (Almost) Anything On Facebook

25 December 2014

Earlier this year, I tried to become more active on Facebook. I resolved to update my feed on where my current location was during my sales trips. I also resolved to record what food I ate and in what restaurant just for the kicks. I also vowed to put cute status updates every now and then.

But that was it. Old habits die hard and, in my case, I was more content simply consuming whatever it is that other people are posting online. I admittedly was too lazy to follow through with my resolutions.

That this happened is good. That's because, apparently, the motives behind those resolutions are misplaced. Once I got to know the thought process or the "why" behind the sudden urge to be active in social media, I felt that I had to have better reasons for doing so. Below are some examples:

First, I need to update Facebook on my current location every time I go out of town. Why? So other people will know where I've been. Why? So...okay, real reason? So they'll know where I've been. It's for the purpose of bragging and that's not cool.

Second, I need to update Facebook on what I'm eating. Pictures are highly encouraged. Why? So other people will know where and what I've been eating. Why? So I can help my friends pick out the best from the menu every time they come across the restaurants I've been to. Really? Uhmm.. It's for the purpose of bragging and that's not cool.

Third, I need to update my Facebook status frequently. Why? So people will know what I'm feeling. Wow. That's narcissistic and that's not cool. Besides, who cares anyway?

So there you go. Why I don't post anything on Facebook is because every time I try to, the reason behind doing so is ultimately egotistical in nature. 

Some people do contend that posting online is necessary as a means of recording life. Good for them. As for me, I probably cannot live under such a delusion. 

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy