Powered by Blogger.

Career Rules (Part I)

04 February 2014

Last year, I read the book by Robert McGovern titled Bring Your "A" Game: The 10 Career Secrets Of The High Achiever. I was jobless then and, after reading, I remember asking myself, "Where was this book five years ago?"

Anyway, the book lent out some pretty good insights, out of which I crystallized a few in a short list. The following tips aim to fast track one's promotion inside a company. Here goes:

Be early. This is a cardinal rule. Admittedly, I'm a perennial latecomer and it's partially because of my attitude towards attendance. 

In the past, I frowned upon punctuality as a measure of performance. In my mind then, HR puts a premium on this because it's the easiest to gauge and not because it's the best indicator of excellent work. For me, it's unfair to not promote someone when he's undoubtedly a good worker but is always five minutes late.

Now, I understand that being early is important. Being early is a mark of a real professional, someone who values the company's time, and is one of the habits of a good sales guy. I still believe that HR is unfortunately biased when it considers tardiness as a key performance indicator. Nevertheless, I have a healthier inclination now towards the habit.

Dress like a CEO. This was something I learned gradually. At first, I was content with a polo and a pair of slacks because my meager budget could not buy fancier clothes. But, like everyone, I made it a point to dress smarter. I thought, and still think, the rule is quite effective especially when I had to muster confidence when talking to top honchos. I figured that, if I were to talk to these guys, then I better dress up. Plus, it wouldn't hurt if my boss sees my outfit and thinks I'm more suited for a higher position. 

Respond promptly. Because if I don't, the following formula applies:

The problem x festering time = Severity of crisis

I probably mustn't elaborate on this. First, it's self-explanatory. Second, I've had way too many experiences illustrating this, almost all of which are not pretty. Welcome to the school of hard knocks. Cheers, boys.

So now, I try to answer all emails, calls, and texts within the day.

Say thank you. Always be grateful even if the other person is simply doing his job. I think I'm doing this quite well.

The only thing to improve on is my eye contact with the person I'm thanking. Someone told me the contact adds to the sincerity of the gesture. I just hope they won't suspect me as a creepy psychopath.

Avoid surprises. Always thoroughly study a situation. Examine the angles, the possible issues, and their corresponding resolutions. Value preparation. Do your homework. Nurture the reputation of someone who can act decisively and quickly, someone who has seen and anticipated all the permutations and ebbs of life.

Now, how am I supposed to apply this in reality? 

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy