Powered by Blogger.

A Wedding Letter

22 January 2011

I really, really wanted to publish this on Valentine's day. But I guess I can't wait that long and I'm pretty sure I'll forget this piece when that day comes.

As a background, this piece started coming to life when I saw the wedding documentary of Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez. In the ceremony, they included a simple yet heartwarming tribute to one another: each took turns reading to the other a love letter.

This act (perhaps an ingenious idea from the show's writers) reminded me of the wedding of my cousin, Kuya Undo. I wasn't present in the wedding so Mama took the liberty of telling me what happened. There was also a part in the ritual where Kuya Undo and his bride (through intermediaries because my cousin had a speech and hearing problem and because his bride was mute - or was she deaf?) read to each other pledges of love. That didn't fail to bring smiles to everyone in the entourage.

So now, I'm inspired enough to write my own love letter. If I had the chance to say something to my bride on our wedding day, what would it be and how would I say it? The draft is still kind of rough but, as a starting point, I think it's good enough.

Still, this little exercise would be of no use if I didn't get married but I think I can still say the same piece if my brothers were to pick me as their best man. If you think it needs rework, I'm open to your ideas. Here goes:

I am not Prince Charming
nor will I ever hope to be.
I'm not tall, I'm not handsome.
I'll never sweep you off your feet.

But for the many years that we were together,
I have tried to become your man
And I'm happy yet so humbled
that it is beside me you choose to stand.

And on this day of promises
On this day we begin a dream
I'll give you my solemn promise,
an oath I intend to keep

That for everything I am not,
I choose to be the one,
the one you truly deserve,
the one who has won your heart.

When we are alone, I will become
the candle lights during dinner
and I'll be the kisses greeting you,
"Good morning and have a good day".

When we are outside, I'll be the strolls
down avenues and lanes
and I'll be the shade when the almighty sun
keeps all the clouds at bay.

When at home, I will be the dishes
all wiped clean and left to dry, I'll be the laundry
that is blowing under the radiant and light blue sky

When you're sad, I will be the shoulder
you can always lean upon, I'll be the tissue
waiting to be used on your table side

And when you're tired or sick, I'll be the hands
massaging your feet when they are sore
and I'll be the wet cloth on your forehead
to cool your fever even more.

And when you're stressed, I will be the world's
greatest sounding board and I will be the late night
conversations with the most amazing woman in the world.

And if we have children, I'll be the diapers
that need to be changed each and every night
and I'll be the camera taking pictures
of them growing in the Light.

And when we fight, I'll be the chest
you can hit to your heart's content
and I'll be the letter under the door
with the words, "I'm sorry. Can I sleep with you on the bed?"

And when we are old and wrinkles begin
come crawling across your face,
Then I'll be the whisper in your ear,
saying, "You're beautiful, more beautiful
with every single year."

And, despite all this, if I have not been clearly understood,
let me tell you simply, "I'll be your husband
in every sense and meaning of the word".

I love you.
 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy