Powered by Blogger.

To My Atheist Brother

17 January 2009

Hello there. Thanks for taking the time to see this post. No, I'm not going to condemn you or insist that you change your mind or anything. "Tigwang na ka" - You're old - and you're entitled to your opinions.

What I'm going to do is just share you something because, by having said that you're an atheist, you remind me of what I was then and the thoughts that I harbored and the journey that I had to go through. Perhaps, your statement is a blessing because it has challenged me to write down and crystallize everything that I believe about God.

But before I start, I just want to ask that you own your statement. It is so easy to say "I believe in God" but it is a wholly different matter to say one doesn't. To say that I'm an atheist is itself a product of deep reflection and hence must not be uttered in jest or mere fun. I expect that you take your statement seriously because this is a serious matter to begin with.

Second, I do apologize for the language. I'll try to be colloquial but my background as a Philosophy minor betrays me. When one is used to utilizing almost every word in the dictionary in a brazen (but ultimately futile) attempt to impress his Philo teacher with his imeldific essays, such practices become annoying habits that he cannot simply kick out. So I'll try to keep it simple but if some text are difficult, you can always post a comment. Let's begin:

I was a Youth for Christ (YFC) before. You know that. But I wasn't happy because I could not see God in the mass. During praise and worship, I didn't see the point because it seemed like He wasn't there. I read the news and with all the evil that happens every day, clearly, God couldn't be in the world. God was absent because, if He were present, why do all these nasty things keep on happening? So I was into the classic "Suffering negates God" dilemma.

I never shared this to mama and papa because I know they'd be upset. But the effects of the doubt were there. I backslid from YFC because all the people were so confident about their faith that they never questioned it (which is quite alarming, if you ask me). I grew skeptical of Catholicism and I secretly questioned everything related to God. Yes. I was self-assured but I was also lost and I felt empty.

Then, I happened to read a book by Don Pukett, entitled "The End of God" (not that sure of the title and author though. That was two years ago already). Looking back, it was a wonderful coincidence. I was in the college library sifting through some books on atheism (that's how interested I was. You should try it sometime too) and I picked it up. I probably thought it was an atheist book because of the title.

You could read it for yourself if you want. Basically, it tackles the idea of God and the implications on language etc. But the most interesting part is in the last chapter. There, the author stripped away the religion of Christianity and addressed what is its core essence.

And the answer? Well, it's a no-brainer actually: God is love and the doctrine of Christianity revolves around this phenomenon. If you have Islam, which preaches submission to God, and Judaism, which espouses obedience to the Law, you also have Christianity, which touches a deeper, more profound chord in our humanity.

Now, I invite you to strip away everything you know about religion. Forget about the commandments, the sacraments, the rituals in church. These are clutter, which are better left understood if and when you grasp the basic message of Christianity.

When I finished that book, I changed my perception of God. He isn't simply a Being, because that would be limiting him to an abstract reality somewhere out there. No, God is also a behavior, a mode of thinking. He is Love: a human element which is made concrete over and over again in our dealings with people and the world. Once I realized that, I became a believer once more.

I don't know if you could comprehend what I just said. But let's take it this way. As said, God is love, literally speaking. Then, I ask you: do you believe in love?

Ray, I ask you this: do you believe in love? Do you believe that it exists in this world? Do you believe that it is real and not just, like what some people think, a glamorized instinct bent on possessing people and self-gratification?

I don't know what your answers are to these questions (I still cannot read minds). But this is my case: if you believe that it is love which makes one go to his friend's side to console him in the middle of the night, which makes a mother wait for her son to come home maski kadlawun na ni-uli, which makes a father stay in his stressful, neurotic job so he could support his family, which makes a clan hold its annual reunion despite the many grudges it has to deal with internally, which makes one do household chores with gusto so his mother won't have to, which makes a guy stick to his girlfriend who isn't getting any thinner, which makes parents freak out over their son's academic performance, which makes a family go to mass together, pray together, eat together, stick together...

If you believe in love and its power to make all these miracles happen, then I daresay you still believe in God. Because God is love.

Ray, these are just my reflections (I still have to check my views with a priest to see if they're theologically correct). Also, these aren't original ideas but are derivations from some readings you might encounter soon. I don't expect you to adopt them. All I ask is that you consider what I just said and follow the advice I will give: keep an open mind. It is okay to say you don't believe in God. But don't ever say that this statement of yours is final and binding. Instead, take your statement as an invitation for deeper reflection. Take it as a start of a journey because for me, it was. And if at the end of your journey, you still cannot find Him then so be it. I rest my case. What matters more is that you tried.

There you go. I think that's it. If you were to ask me why, after this reflection, I still cling onto the last vestiges of our religion, such as going to mass, observing the traditions etc., I would rather write another looooong post for that in the future. As of the moment, I think what I shared to you would suffice.

Paolo

PS: As a final note, I would like to say that there are a lot of extraordinary miracles hidden in our midst. As Papa said, one of these miracles is our family. This miracle wouldn't be possible if we didn't have Love, if we didn't have God. Peace out.

13 comments:

Lemuel Kit said...

OMG!!! True... I wrote something about God's existence as well...

http://soohot.multiply.com/journal/item/21/Does_God_Exist

Dom Cimafranca said...

Wonderful post, Paolo: personal, thoughtful, and honest. Is it okay to use for Dagmay one of these days?

Unknown said...

uhhh. Okay, Kuya Dom... although personally, I thought this entry wasn't print-worthy, let alone Dagmay-worthy, but if you insist, then why not? Just give a heads up when you decide to do just that. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What you have done here is make up your own definition of the word "God" and argue that it exists. God = Love and love exists. Okay that's fine, it has nothing to with what most people understand God to be, i.e. a supernatural entity of some kind with a definite will and awareness, who created the universe that we know and is able to perceive us (humans) as inhabitants of that Universe.

In other words you've made somewhat of an argument that love exists. I fail to see why this is impressive.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I have to agree. What you've said here is: love exists, and I like to call it "God." But love didn't die on the cross for your sins, and love didn't turn water into wine, and love isn't out there recruiting new members.

Anonymous said...

I'm a man of science it must be said and i myself find no comfort in god. I am a believer in humanity as it is us who cure illness with drugs send people to the moon with rockets and further the human physcky with scientific endevor.
If you don't believe in a afterlife it makes you live life to the max as you believe it is all you get and to take advantage of every moment and to believe in some sort of god weather a personification of love or not is a bit of a cop of as baisicly he is a manifisication of humanity and it is that which me must believe in, if we are to survive as a species.

Anonymous said...

I think your argument is shallow at best.

Love is an emotion, a feeling. So therefore God is a feeling?

Unknown said...

Unfortunately you're definition of God still leaves you as an Atheist yourself. God is an entity. Therefor believing that God is the emotion and acts of love means that you do not believe in the entity of God who makes decisions, judges, and in general has it's own consciousness.

Atheism doesn't mean that you aren't religious. Atheism is a religion just like the standards. And one can be a spiritual Atheist just like one can be a non-spiritual Christian.

I personally am an Agnostic. I don't know if there is a God but I believe it it's possibility. I have come to the decision that it is unimportant for me to know the true nature of God (or lack there of) and being a good person will suffice.

Anonymous said...

Chris: Atheism is NOT a religion. A religion cannot be defined by what it lacks, in this case theism, which is also not a religion.

As far as the 'argument' above goes, previous posters have the right of it. There is no reason to accept that the Christian assertion that 'God is Love' has any actual basis. Biblical texts attribute multiple other emotions to YHWH that, when portrayed by a human, do nothing to confirm or deny the existence of a creator deity that enforces a universal system of rewards and consequences.

Anonymous said...

To say "God is Love" and then not back it up with anything doesn't hold much water. I can say that Hitler is hate, but that doesn't make it so.

While it is difficult to scientifically explain "love", we do know that is and many other emotions can become off-balance due to chemical imbalances in the body. That makes it a lot less magical for me -- love isn't some mystical feeling that has no explanation.

It is common for Man to site God for things one doesn't fully understand, and it seems like in this case that's what you've done. Fair enough, but it doesn't hold water for me. And it does not explain all the clearly-not-love-driven aspects of Old Testament at all.

PS: I saw an invite on another blog by the author to read this post, so I'm commenting. It's not normally like me to "step over the line", but I was invited to in this case.

Anonymous said...

Was this supposed to be profound? It's not.

Unknown said...

Hi there. For those who commented on my blog entry, thanks for all the comments. I’ve learned a lot from you guys. Like I always say, it’s a journey and the journey’s more rewarding if I get to see both sides of the coin. Just my answers to some comments, by the way:

1.) My personal challenge is to expand my definition of God to something more than what we normally conceive God to be (as taught by our religions e.g. God is a supernatural entity etc.). Right now, I’m equating God to a way of life, centered upon certain principles. I’m trying to study Heidegger because his thoughts have a bearing on what I want to do. Anyway, I’m a work in progress.

2.) Maybe later, I can discuss Jesus Christ in my blog (I’m still forming my thoughts though) and why the miracles are but mere distractions to the message itself.

3.) I don’t really place much emphasis on the Old Testament. Furthermore, I guess when it comes to believing or not believing, we must start from the heart (where the issue really has bearing), the “emotions/feelings”, and go on from there. Some might argue that this is a logical fallacy but I believe in every discussion about God, this must be take into account as it is an important component. Clearly, there’s got to be a new way of intelligently discussing God while considering this human aspect.

Thanks again!

JCESI said...

God involves faith.

For an example please go to:
http://www.jesuschristevangelicalchurch.faithweb.com/cgi-bin/blog

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy