Powered by Blogger.

YoungBlood Article

24 June 2009

Ah, finally. It has come to pass. The "mania" has died down.

It has been more than a week since my Youngblood article was published in Philippine Daily Inquirer. As I've been telling everyone since, I didn't know it would be published that fast. What I thought was there was a 3-month waiting list before any article or feature gets published in the column.

Looking back, did I feel proud of myself? Actually, no. It turned out I was embarrassed of the whole episode since I foolishly assumed only a few in my company would be able to read what I submitted. That was because newspapers in the office miraculously vanish every morning, especially in the Fort Office (The only time I got to read the news then is when I have free time to surf the internet). But as it turned out, quite a lot of people heard about my article and were able to read it. I guess the embarrassment came from the fact that I had already moved on yet people were still reading this piece of very personal literature written by "someone" who was feeling sentimental about going away.

But still, I have no regrets. In addition, I thank all those who have commended me for my piece as well as the many who have chosen not to voice out their objections and comments against it. I also thank Clinton for prodding me to join this "Who Gets To Be Published First In YoungBlood" contest in which I was the only contestant (Bummer).

I also thank the Philippine Daily Inquirer for publishing this work. Although I can't say that I'm already a fan of the editor who revised this (Yes, some parts turned out better after certain revisions but I was aiming for a "Jun Jesena"-type of piece, with all the fragments interspersed all over), I still am grateful that this went out.

Here is the link to the article online. As for the original draft, I'm still looking for it.

To close this post, during our dinner last Saturday, Sir Dominique wondered aloud why most articles of Youngblood are negative in tone (read: brooding, morose, tearjerkers, "emo" etc.) when we Filipinos are in fact a very happy and joyous lot. I remember I was taken aback by that comment. So now, I resolve to be more happy in my next write-ups. The world does need clowns after all. And some laughs too.

2 comments:

Clinton said...

You're welcome dear.

Sorry wala ko nag pass sa ako! Ahahaha.. I didn't feel like finishing my work! Pero pramis, nag buhat jud ko...kabasa pa man gani si pansit!

Bibo imong blog karon ah..!

Junkie. said...

*applauds* Duuhhhrama, Paolo. DUUUUUHHHRAAMAA. :)) Bongga ka naman. Sayang I never got to see you around Manila. :( Oh well at least happy ka na over there sa Davao.Char. :)

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy