Powered by Blogger.

Registering At The COMELEC

26 June 2009

Finally, I'm a registered voter.

Last election, I didn't register myself because it slipped out of my mind. I didn't realize I had to until the last days (and we all know, in the last days of registration, COMELEC offices resemble miniature war zones, with mobs of angry people swarming the hapless COMELEC staff.). The end part: I didn't get to register because I never went to a COMELEC office (I did naively visit our Barangay office in the hopes that they would accept registrants. Obviously, they didn't). I pretty much would have regretted the whole thing though if I wasn't feeling so hopeless about the roster of candidates presented before the nation.

"But this time, it would be different", I said to myself yesterday morning. And off I marched to the COMELEC office in Magsaysay Park.

I actually tried registering myself three times before I eventually did. Last week, Thursday, I went to the COMELEC office only to find out it was closed. Then on Friday that same week, I went to NCCC Mall of Davao to register myself only to escape at the last minute because I had to meet a couple of friends in the afternoon. Then on Monday this week, I went to the office again and lost heart because there were lots of people who also thought that Monday is a good day to be registered.

Then yesterday, Thursday, was my lucky day. I arrived early in the office only to see a handful of people scribbling on application forms. I also met former Police Inspector Trejare (correct spelling?), a resigned policeman, who assisted me on what to do.

He and I talked a bit that morning because I blurted out I was an unemployed bum and he became excited and began inviting me to join the Philippine National Police Academy (Plus, my mentioning that I was a college graduate and had two cousins who are police officers only served to fuel the inspector's enthusiasm). Although I was headed for another career direction, I thoroughly enjoyed the inspector's speech as he expounded the benefits of being a member of the force. He mentioned the good pay and the chance to serve the country (He also flattered me by saying I could be a general. Now, that's something!).

I said to him I should probably think it over and asked where he was assigned before. He said that he was assigned chiefly in two places, Davao City and Manila. When I asked him why he didn't think of finally living in Manila and bringing along his family with him (Besides, that's a great way to be promoted especially when your superiors are Manila dwellers), he said Manila wasn't exactly a good place to start and raise a family. Life was hectic and traffic was a killer there. Davao city was still a better place (Amen!).

After our small chat, I busied myself waiting to be called while reading a book. Then I realized some things never change. Aside from death, long lines in government offices are indeed one of the greatest equalizers in this world. Whether one is rich or poor, elite class or just common folk, one was not exempt from standing in line and waiting to be called. No special treatment here (except of course for those who choose to wield their power to avoid discomfort).

Thankfully, the registration took me just half a day (as compared to 1-2 days in the NBI, NSO, and other what-nots). Sure, their process wasn't perfect but I sure do hope I see signs of improvement when I visit the COMELEC again.

See you all in the next year's elections.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy