Powered by Blogger.

Ninong Paolo

19 November 2009

Christmas is near again.

Right now, I'm already thinking about what to give to my godchildren. What toys should I give them? Or should it be clothes? Or maybe, I should settle with food? Will cash do?

For me, deciding what to give to my godchildren is a nerve-wracking activity. That's because I do not have much first-hand experience to begin with. For instance, when I was young, I can count with just one hand the number of times my godparents gave me gifts (2 times).

To digress, I guess most of my godparents had the wrong idea that their obligations ended right after the baptismal ceremony. In fact, that shouldn't be the case. Godparents should always be there to help the parents mentor and guide the child. Also, we must never forget that godparents are also there to give their godchildren presents every Christmas (that's one thing we must never forget!).

Looking back, the most memorable gift I've ever received from a god parent was a Bible, elegantly covered with cloth. My Ninong Cho gave it to me when I was still a teenager. Never mind that it was a Protestant bible and had some books missing (Ninong Cho is a Baptist pastor). But it was probably the most meaningful gift ever, an unlikely but surprisingly useful gift.

Lest you have the idea that I'm handing away Bibles this Christmas, I'm not. My godchildren are still cute little children. There's Jilleen, the pretty daughter of my Uncle Boy and Aunt Bess. There's Ayon, the stubborn but adorable son of my Aunt Bing and Uncle Bibong. There's Junjun, the cute newborn of my Uncle Jun and Aunt Inday. And there's the angelic child of Ate Weng and Kuya Jang-jang named Vincent, the god child I never knew (I wasn't at the baptism that's why I completely forgot that I was his godfather).

Maybe, I would fare better if I ask other people for ideas. Or should I do the thinking on my own? Either way, I'm taking this gift-giving as serious business. So if you see a 22-year old guy carefully scrutinizing wares in the toys department in the coming weeks, chances are, that would be me. Peace out.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy