Powered by Blogger.

Security Guards

16 February 2014

Last week, I almost caused a scene.

I was visiting PLDT Ponciano for my medical when the nurse of the clinic (who, as I would find out, had almost no bedside manners) told me to photocopy a form outside.

So I went to the front presuming there was a photocopier somewhere in the building. I asked the guard if I could use a photocopier and was immediately rebuffed. He said that only employees can use it. Taken aback, I said I was with AGS, a sister company. He said again that he doesn't know a company by that name.

At that point, my raised voice caught the attention of another security guard who asked what's wrong. That was when I corrected myself and said that I'll look for a photocopier outside the premises. I was no Binay and I sure don't want to become one on the first day of my new job.

On my way out, I was trying to rationalize my reaction. First, the guard was in no position to refuse that courtesy to me since he wasn't a PLDT employee. What if I was a big-shot client who just happened to need a photocopier at that precise moment? I'll probably be pissed also at the perceived inconsideration. Second, it's his job to know the different companies that comprise the conglomerate.

Looking back, the incident is quite minor. But it also reminds me of other incidents involving security guards which struck a nerve:

University of Mindanao, Bolton campus - I exited the embassy campus but, after just two feet, I had to turn back because I forgot something inside. The guard sprung into action and told me to enter through the entrance. I lost my cool and told him he saw me exit just a second ago (I still ended up going through the entrance though. It's hard to win against people who have guns).

Gaisano Mall, Digos - The guards didn't allow me to go inside the department store and the grocery department because I had my laptop bag with me. I tried to explain that I had a laptop and wasn't comfortable leaving it with the baggage counter (Still, I didn't win).

Sometimes, due to their protocols, security guards can be - pardon the word - real assholes. With their power, they can make your day miserable or, at least, make a routine visit unpleasant.

What can I advise then? Nothing except that you play by their rules. Besides, I shouldn't be sweating the small stuff (which sounds contradictory now since I wrote about the topic).

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy