Powered by Blogger.

I Think I've Been Had...Again

17 August 2013

Yesterday, I bought an electronic mosquito repellent, a device that emits ultrasonic sound to ward off mosquitoes. I was getting annoyed at the insects lounging in my room and wanted to strike back.

Several hours later, I was suffering buyer's remorse. 



Unfortunately, I didn't do some research about the product until after the purchase. When I went home, I looked for reviews on the brand that I bought and was depressed at what I saw. According to BBC:

"Electronic mosquito repellents (EMR) are designed to repel female mosquitoes by emitting high-pitched sounds almost inaudible to the human ear...

"Ten field studies looking at the number of mosquitoes caught on the bare body parts of humans were assessed. These studies were conducted in various parts of the world with different species of mosquitoes and were controlled for factors such as locality and timing...

"There was no evidence in the field studies to support any repelling effects of EMRs."
Electronic mosquito repellents for preventing mosquito bites and malaria infection, by A Enayati, 
J Hemingway and P Garner.

So now I'm stuck with a device that I now know is a scam. I can't return it because it's not broken and I won't use it because it's a waste of electricity.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy