Powered by Blogger.

Bait And Switch

24 August 2013

I didn't know this sales method was still being used.

Last Wednesday, while walking pass Lachmi, a sales guy by the name of Michael of Hilton Marketing approached me and gave me an offer: a free TV/Radio card.

I didn't know what that was but since it was free, I went with him. We proceeded to what he called a showroom, their office in the second floor of the Lachmi Building where it featured rows of appliances.

Another sales guy approached me and I braced myself for something familiar. You see, my mother had an experience before when she was subjected to the same routine. First, she was enticed by the offer of a free appliance and, by the end of the sales talk, she had purchased an entire showcase. She did return all of the things she had unwittingly purchased (through her credit card) but, still, it was a close call.

First thing they asked when they made me sit on the massage chair was to fill out their application form. Second, they asked for my ID. Third, they asked to see my credit card. When they asked me this, I was wary so I showed it to them and promptly tucked it back in my wallet.

By then, I was wondering where my free TV/Radio card was so the second sales guy engaged in small talk, beginning with the topic of him accidentally impregnating a girl (he's gay). After a few uncomfortable moments, the acting began. Michael came back with a stash of envelopes and told me I was entitled to a raffle draw. All I had to do was pick out an envelope, open it, and see if I got a prize. I picked one and got a Php 2,000.00 discount coupon. Michael and the sales guy went to their routine and gushed that this was too good to be true. 

The second sales guy showed me the appliances that was subject to discounts and Michael then showed their promo, claiming that they were offering about a hundred thousand worth of appliances to me for the low price of Php 58,000.00 or something. It was for a limited time only and all I had to do was give them my credit card.

At this point, I was tired of the entire charade (I had to go somewhere else) and politely declined the offer, justifying that I had no need for their stuff. I also didn't like the fact that the entire sales effort was built on deception right from the start. 

Of course, I did get my free TV/Radio card in the end, courtesy of Michael. But, then again, why would I want one anyway?

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy