Powered by Blogger.

Getting Old

11 August 2013

I'm getting old. This thought occurred to me this morning when I looked back at the things I did before that I couldn't do now. 

Last night, I vowed to wake up early to resume jogging. This morning, I woke up at the right time but went back to sleep immediately. Waking up early was now an impossible task.

I've stated before that I don't drink unless I'm invited. Now, I try to avoid situations that require social drinking. I don't welcome karaoke nights anymore either because they impinge on my sleep (and I don't sing). 

One classmate told me that this cliche is always true: that you always pay for the sins of your youth.  

In other words, whatever you do to your body now will exact its price once you're older. Even though he's still in his early thirties, he's already falling prey to various maladies from his previous vices. So he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Getting old then, at least for now, is not exactly seeing the wrinkles in your face or the spots on your skin. It's first accepting the limitations of one's body and mitigating the damage by cutting off the activities that one once enjoyed. It means letting go of youth's frivolities and turning oneself to other more healthy and meaningful forms of entertainment. 

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy