Powered by Blogger.

Tote Bags

09 August 2013

Last Monday, I bought a tote bag, a "lady's accessory". It wasn't a fashion statement. I was simply being practical. 

Back in college, we had this one classmate who sported spiked hair and a gangster image. What struck me however was his choice of apparel. He was bringing a tote bag. Not the ordinary bag, mind you, which had a sling and was otherwise inconspicuous. Instead, he brought a bag with gold metal links adorned with intricate royalty patterns reminiscent of Luis Vuitton or Chanel. To say he was breaking a convention was an understatement.

As for me, I think I got tired of backpacks, small sling bags, and pouch bags so I bought a tote bag. So far, I haven't regretted my purchase. All my things fit inside and I can see and reach all my items with just one stroke of the zipper. 

The purchase also is a social experiment for me - Would people notice? If so, what would be their reaction? Would they assume that this is a telltale sign of homosexuality? Or would they assume the opposite instead? Finally, will I spawn a trend later on of guys carrying tote bags instead of cumbersome backpacks? If so, how will it affect the behavior of the product's current market, the ladies?

To close, I remember something I read about a man who, against societal norms, chose to use an umbrella. Back then, umbrellas were only for women and you weren't a man if you used one. He ended up being harassed by the public but, eventually, his example soon spread like wildfire across the civilized world.

I fancy my preference of the tote bag will bring the same result.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy