Powered by Blogger.

I Think I've Been Had

26 September 2010

This afternoon, I just bought another device for the house: the Extreme Power Saver. It's actually a power factor correction device touted to lower one's electric bills.

My interest (and eventual decision to buy) hinged on curiosity. I found a similar device in Landmark when I was in Manila. I really wanted to buy one for our room but that purchase never materialized. Now, I saw another one tucked away in Ace Hardware's labyrinth of shelves and I wasted no time buying the device.

When I got home, however, I was overcome with buyer's remorse. I researched my new toy in the Internet and found a lot of scathing reviews against this line of products. In a lot of online forums, many techno-geeks were remarking that the product doesn't, in fact, lower your bills. If you were searching for information about these devices, chances are you'll be reading a lot of stuff purporting that these devices are mere scams.

But hope springs abundant for me, though. One site says that, although it's a long shot that such a device will reduce one's bills, it can still help in preserving the environment. The device actually does lower the amount of electricity wasted in your home, something which will prove to be crucial in the long run.

In addition, in another forum, one cyber geek exclaimed that these devices work best when there are old appliances running ancient motors in the household. These appliances might not have the electricity saving features found in newer models so these "energy saver" devices can have a huge impact in this case. We do have one ancient appliance, the rusting air conditioner in Papa and Mama's bedroom, and I hope that some magic will work here.

Needless to say, the verdict is still open until the next bill arrives. Till then, I'll be crossing my fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so whats the verdict? update me bro.

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy