Powered by Blogger.

Cuss Words

13 October 2012

My first cuss word was "shit". When my family was still living in Bangkal, my siblings and I belted this out a lot. Shit, shit, shit. It seemed cool; it was English and it was pretty simple to pronounce too.

Then, when I grew up, I tried to become different and succeeded. Whereas my contemporaries were content with "putang ina", "fuck", "suck it", I was privately whispering "shix" and "fricative" (an actual word, mind you) every time reality frustrated me.

Nowadays, my repertoire  of bad words includes "gulay", "shatong", the common "bwisit" and "leche", and "leche flan". If I feel like it, I might venture into uttering "pusang iring cat meow meow" (something I got from Michael Palarpalar) just to make an impression on some people.

I have to admit that, despite my daily commitment not to say bad words, I still do. It's a habit that's hard to kick. On top of that, there's something in these words which make them wickedly fun to say because, to be honest, by themselves, they cannot be considered as cuss words, just ordinary terms used in an unusual context.

Now, when it comes to cuss words, I do have some rules I adhere to. I never use "putang ina" because it's insulting to mothers (I remember posting about this some time ago). I never use "fuck" because it's too mainstream (plus, most people don't know the actual origin of the word anyway. I should probably write that down in another post). I don't use "bitch" because it's sexist and demeaning to the dogs. Most especially, I try to refrain from using "shit" nowadays because some people already consider me to be above that (I'm entertaining priesthood, remember?).

To end, I do hope that people might just be a little bit more creative when it comes to cuss words. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing the same "shit" over and over again. Really, it pays to be different.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy