Powered by Blogger.

Judging

13 October 2012

The pther friday, a text message made my day. It was from Mel:

Hi Pao! Pwede ka nako iinvite as judge sa variety show contest sa akong mga students this Oct. 15, 5-10PM? I know you probably have work, pero just giving it a shot.:)

After thirty seconds of savoring the thought (in Bisaya, "gabukad ug atay"), I promptly declined the invitation, citing that I had an exam that day (which was true) and wasn't really up to it (which was true also). Mel graciously accepted it by texting back that she's found someone else.

I didn't know what made her think that I could judge, apart from the fact that we knew each other, but I got to think how odd it must feel if I ever get to judge something. It's inherent in everyone to judge performances but one must know what is actually being performed to become a good judge.

For instance, one can never appreciate art, let alone judge, if one is not an artist to begin with. One truly appreciates paintings if one knows how skilled one must be to paint. One truly appreciates dance if one knows how freakishly hard some moves are.

Indeed, the prospect of judging must humble one to become introspective enough to ask:  am I really good enough to judge?

For me, the answer is no. But then again, I belong on the stage, not in front of it.

Echus.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy