Powered by Blogger.

New Year's Resolution

31 December 2012

I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions.  It’s a recipe for disappointment, frustration, and regression.  A year is just too long for a one-time reversal of ingrained habits. I believe the Jesuits had it right when, instead of a new year, they had a twice-daily examen: an assessment of the day’s events and also an opportunity to resolve to be better next time. 

But even I have to admit of this tradition’s allure. It’s nice to face the New Year with a hopeful resolution to change, unburdened by the past’s weight. Plus, I might as well leave it in the open if only to pressure myself to be more committed to change:

1.)    Look at other people’s eyes when they talk to you
2.)    Sleep better and exercise harder
3.)    Do at least one household chore when you’re visiting the family abode
4.)    Visit Lola Alice at least twice a month
5.)    Be angry but don’t be obvious
6.)    Be more fiscally responsible
7.)    Do the examen every day
8.)    Don’t waste time
9.)    Be more caring (I don’t know how to do that but I’m going to write it down anyway)
10.)    Write

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy