Powered by Blogger.

The Gap

30 September 2012

Karlo, a classmate of mine, narrated to me the story of his life when he was still a law student of the Ateneo de Davao University (ADDU). In hindsight, I wished he hadn't because I finally realized why Ateneo is Ateneo and why UM is UM.

The disparity is immense. According to Karlo, if you're in Ateneo, one can never aspire to be both a law student and a professional because your studies are going to eat up all your time. His routine then consists of eight hours of reading every day because every teacher of every subject would task his or her class to read at least ten cases daily. If you can't understand that, I tell you now that's a lot of material to go through in a given day.

Add to that is the fact that the faculty of Ateneo are relentless in their efforts to trim down the herd. Presumably, about half (or is it more?) of the freshmen population are wittled down by year end. It is no wonder that a law student in ADDU is more prepared for the Bar Exam than, say, a law student in UM.

That's the gap and I can't help but feel helpless facing this stark reality. What am I to do?

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy