Powered by Blogger.

Anniversary

07 May 2009

May 3, 2008. That’s the day I arrived here in Manila.

May 5, 2008. That’s my first day of work.

Let’s walk along memory lane. Let’s talk about the first date, May 3.

The day started early. I woke up at 4 in the morning because I was excited. I also had only a few hours left in Davao and I tried vainly not to miss anything. Unfortunately, I missed breakfast because I only drank milk and sleep was becoming an issue because I’d been an involuntary insomniac the past few days.

Ate Bating and Rayray accompanied me to the airport because Mama and Papa weren’t around. They were in Bohol for a trip. They left earlier that week, on Wednesday. That day, I didn’t get to see them off properly, wasn’t able to say goodbye.

That’s because I acted stupid. They were leaving in the morning and I decided to go buy an eye drop because my eyes were red. When I came back, they were gone. Later that day, Mama would call, crying, asking where did I go. I regretted that decision till I returned to Davao last August.

I was in the airport, with Kit and Sir Rayo. That was the first time I stepped foot inside an airport and it was pretty cool. Sir Rayo was going to Cebu and Kit was going to Manila with me because we’re going to be working in the same company.

I was experiencing my first plane ride. Window seat. That was the first time I saw Davao and Samal up in the air and both appeared so fragile. Everything was new and my neck hurt from staring at the window. It was magic and it was good for only one time. Every plane ride since had all the wonder of a bus ride.

I just picked up my luggage at the Manila Domestic Airport. Hideous place. Then I saw Ms. Claire, and Saree and Rey. Ms. Claire didn’t seem too friendly. Saree was conyo. But I guess I read Rey pretty well. He already had that air of arrogance (or self-confidence if I choose to be tactful) and he looked like 35 (should have taken that observation seriously). Plus, he kept talking about Ms. Grace, the employee/model, whose commercials are all over the place (except in Davao, probably).

We just arrived at Bonifacio Global City. Had my first look at Francis aka Pansit. He was a school mate but I never met him in Davao. Pansit was interesting because he carried a big fan from Cebu (a fan that would later be destroyed by ungodly forces several months after). He was also a debater and a PhilSci graduate. He was the one who debunked my assumption that PhilSci graduates aren’t well-adjusted simply by acting normal.

We just strolled down Bonifacio Global City. Cute place, with the manicured hedges and lawns and the unabashed show of dreadful price tags and chic shops. We dropped by the office, saw Ate Glenda leaving (who could wear high heel boots every day with a laptop in tow. Very excruciating, I know, but I was amazed just the same). We stopped by Fully Booked and that was the first time I saw a real bookstore that looked like a library.

We just ate lunch at Trellis. I cannot remember what we ate but it was delicious (for someone who hadn’t had breakfast). I got to meet the Xavier people and Glen. Glen was a shy Siliman boy (with a heavy emphasis on was). I asked him if he could help me build a website and until now, hasn’t given me an answer yet. April looked like a snob out on a field trip with a videocam. Lea, my “soulmate” and the only other English major, already sported the perennially lifted eyebrow. If she was nervous or anxious, I guess she was successful in hiding it. Clinton appeared like the regular straight guy (never expected he was gay) and so did Vhong. Alfie also looked like 35.

We waited at the Metrodorm lounge to be led to our rooms. In the taxi to Metrodorm, I rode with Kit, Glen, Velia and Saree. All three boys were silent while the two girls who apparently know each other kept talking and talking some more. Velia also kept prodding us questions (and I only got to realize she was pretty when Gian and Ejie kept telling her that later on.).

I was there, sprawled on the upper bunk, in a room I’d share with five other strangers for a month. Finally, the situation finally began sinking in. I’m in Manila and this is not a dream. Oh my gosh, this is for real. And all sorts of questions came to me and I began to doubt if I really made the right decision. In the end, it was me who wasn’t confident enough that I could handle this on my own.

I was chatting away a Saturday afternoon with Clinton and Kit in the dining area. I still can remember I was vehemently annoyed by cigarette smoke. We talked about proceeding to further studies, to Law, in this brave new world. That afternoon, we searched for dinner and ended up walking two kilometers to SM Megamall. That was the first time I saw Ciara and Maricor, who could have probably been raised in a convent since they weren’t talking too much.

I was awake in bed. I missed my family, my friends, I missed Davao. It was so easy to think that I’ll stay for five years here and so hard when I’m actually here. I didn’t like change but there I was experiencing probably one of the biggest changes in my life. I had to sleep and exhaustion slowly drifted me away.

May 3, 2009. It’s my anniversary here in Manila. Just as I expected, many things have changed. I think I’ve grown but I know I still have a lot of rice to eat. Nevertheless, I haven’t regretted anything I’ve gone through, thank goodness. I’ve experienced anger, resentment, happiness, joy, frustrations, sadness, tears, in a span of one year. Yes, it has been a tough year but it has been a fruitful one.

I’ve learned to value people. I’ve started coming out of my shell. I’ve come to deeply appreciate my colleagues, which my first impressions could never do justice in describing. I’m a new person now, perhaps slightly scarred but more happy to be alive.

This year has done wonders to me and I am deeply thankful for everyone who has been with me throughout this year. Now it’s time to move on.

6 comments:

blueknight's sketches said...

Pao, how do you put the "counter" gadget? The "Pila na napadpad" thing?

blueknight's sketches said...

And the chatbox?

"Ron-Ron" said...

Pao, I didn't pay attention to this the first time I visited your blog. My eyes were just pegged on your description of Rey and Ms. Claire, which I find very interesting. But now, reading the entry in full, I couldn't help but shed a tear (almost). The way you told your story made me emphatize. I could feel what you felt (and still feeling) - the pain of leaving home, the quesiness of facing the unknown, the discomfort of coming out of your shell and make friends with strangers. I could see how your eyes flickered with the first sight of your hometown from up above..and how you got overwhelmed by the strangeness of your new surroundings. But I admire you're braveness. You're man enough to take responsibilities, and to face the challenges of growing up. You're an inspiration. So please don't resign yet, or else...ahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Hear hear to Ron! Ahehehe

you're not supposed to disclose my gayness! Boohoo!

Lemuel Kit said...

Hi Pao!!! Belated happy anniversary. Thanks for all the memories we've shared here in Manila. Wala lagey first impression sa akoa? hahaha... :)

Anonymous said...

napaluha man pud ku.

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy