Powered by Blogger.

Putting Off Law School

01 May 2014

I shared already to several people my impromptu interview with Sir Romy Salva, one of BPI’s branch managers who’s set to retire next year.

I visited his branch in NCCC Mall of Davao to inquire about something and asked him what he planned to do after retirement. Despite the question, I thought I knew what he wanted to do like spending more time with his grandkid or starting a new business with his retirement money.

That’s why I was surprised when he said he wanted to pursue law. He then shared to me that he was, in fact, a member of the Tau Mu fraternity, back when he was still studying law.

Unfortunately, he had to stop because of financial constraints (he had a family to feed) but he didn’t shut the door to that dream. Perhaps, there’s that ‘unfinished business’ factor again that kept him thinking about law school and, come retirement, he’ll finally have a second chance at it.

The reason why I’m sharing this is because I’m going through the same dilemma. Pastor Ace, a classmate, had cautioned me last semester against taking a breather from law school since doing so might affect my momentum. I’m afraid he’s right.

Right now, the reasons stopping me from enrolling for the next semester are financial and work-related constraints.

Ironically, after getting a generous salary bump this year, I found out I don’t have the budget to go to law school. Another obligation cropped up and it would be selfish of me to not help out.

Second, my new work entails that I be ready to travel at a moment’s notice. That runs contrary to the demands of law school, chief of which is that I should attend daily classes.

Do I feel the loss? Of course. But I also know that law school is always there. I am witness, of course, to people who, despite being in their forties or fifties, are still studying law. To them, the desire to become a lawyer didn’t have to feature an expiration date.

I’m not sure when I can come back but I definitely will.


Besides, it wouldn’t seem right to deprive the world of another good lawyer.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy