Powered by Blogger.

Pinoy-style Massage

27 April 2014

Okay. Perhaps, we're not that unique. Perhaps, other countries or cities feature this spectacle. I'm talking about rows and rows of chairs being manned by masseurs and occupied by their clients.

I've already talked about this in an earlier post but today was the first time I actually tried the experience.

I was visiting downtown after having a haircut when I came upon Rizal Park. I remembered that I was suffering from a headache earlier this morning and decided that a head massage wouldn't hurt.

One of the masseurs noticed me approaching and signaled me to sit down on one of the reclining chairs. I had a head massage which probably lasted around twenty minutes and I had a foot massage as well (just for kicks) which lasted another fifteen minutes or so.

The session, which lasted almost an hour, cost me Php 120.00 (Php 40.00 for the head/shoulder/upper chest massage, Php 60.00 for the calf/foot massage, and Php 20.00 for the unnecessary tip). It was, in Tagalog, "sulit". I felt relaxed, rejuvenated, and fresh.

Of course, the cheap price does come with some cost-cutting measures. First, one has to overcome the "icky" factor: the towels used to remove the massage oil from my foot and calves were, well, used; the masseur had used it for other clients ahead of me. Second, I don't see any masseur wash his or her hands prior to the session. Third, the massage session is open-air: no air-conditioner and definitely no scented candles. Fourth, the ambiance can be disturbing to sensitive people (in my case earlier, I had to listen to Muslim evangelists on the park's stage throw dirt at Roman Catholicism to promote Islam).

But still, for me, it's an experience worth having and, maybe, I'll be back again having another massage.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy