Powered by Blogger.

God Bless

29 September 2013

Yes, I'm aware that I'm fixated at what should be immaterial stuff. 

Back in college, Ma'am Riza had shared to us her favorite pique: the statement "God Bless". Being the grammar guru that she is (and also the Humanities Division Head at that time), she could not let this slip away. 

According to her, the verb "bless" is a transitive verb and, thus, requires an object which, in this case, is a person. So it should not be "God Bless" but "God Bless You". That's in keeping with grammatically correct English.

Being the obedient student that I was, I promptly looked for opportunities to chastise my fellow students. In truth, I relished the moments when I said, with Solomonic authority, to my peers: "It should be God bless You."

Of course, I didn't know then that I was being a hoofed mammal of the horse family for doing so (let's keep this post clean, shall we?). Eventually, I think I grew tired of this game and began accepting, instead of correcting, these verbal niceties in life.

Soon after, I had a change of heart. 

The statement is in fact "correct". God is God and what is otherwise an incomplete statement is rendered full by its subject. Perhaps, the greeting is meant to be what it is, not a simple greeting that Divine Providence bless solely you but that He bless everyone, not only you but the entire world. In this case, "God Bless You" is but an artificial artifice which detracts us, limits us, from the immense encompassing power of the statement "God Bless". "God Bless You" is the antithesis to the affirmation of God's unbounded generosity.

Okay. Off to bed now. Good night. God bless.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy