Powered by Blogger.

Contemplating Priesthood

26 December 2009

I am contemplating priesthood. But, apparently, God isn't giving me any easy answers.

Some people tell me that such decisions on what vocation to choose actually happen during those rare instances of blinding self-awareness, those moments akin to Saint Paul's "Road To Damascus" conversion.

To be honest, I haven't had any of those experiences. Almost every decision I've made in the past was always laboriously slow and paradoxically haphazard and impulsive.

But, setting that aside, I think I already have some indicators as to where I could end up ten years from now. First, as of the moment, I still don't feel the need to have a significant other. I don't know if it's because I'm a late bloomer or I'm in a premature stage of andropause but marriage is slowly but definitely becoming an option quite alien to me.

I also don't mind not being a father. Sure, I do feel sad sometimes considering the notion but not fathering a child is also slowly becoming a welcoming idea.

To sum it up, I think I already have the necessary mindset to really pursue priesthood in the future. The thought of no marriage or fatherhood doesn't bother me at all and I think that a willingness to serve can be taught and further developed in the seminary.

But that's the problem right there. That's what I feel right now. But what about after five years? Or ten? Would I feel the same way? Surely, such a decision to pursue priesthood remains a leap of faith and a steadfast allegiance to the vocation despite the uncertainties of human nature.

Hmmm...

Maybe, having said this, it's better to ponder and discern for a while. Better check back on this post after several years. As of the moment, there's no rush.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy