Powered by Blogger.

For Want Of A Diploma

18 September 2009

I now remember why I did not get my diploma over a year ago.

I stopped by the Registrar's office last Friday to finally get one. And no, I wasn't struck by a sudden case of nostalgia; the diploma was simply one of the requirements for my new job.

At first, I was in high spirits. I was visiting Ateneo de Davao after all, my alma mater. I greeted Sir Bong cheerfully (to digress, Sir Bong is an ex-seminarian of the Alexian Brothers) and asked how I could get my diploma.

But my happy face disappeared a few minutes later. When Sir Bong returned to me after retrieving my files, he handed to me a "Diploma Clearance" form which I had to complete. Completing it entailed gathering the signatures of the Dean, the Division Head, the Librarian, and the Cashier. I protested, saying that I already completed a similar form before my graduation. Sir Bong promptly showed me my accomplished "Graduation Clearance", a strikingly similar form which had all the signatures of all the signatories indicated in the Diploma Clearance Form. After that moment, memories of college life - running around the campus, waiting in line, wasting countless hours and energy just to get several stupid signatures - rushed to my head. I promptly crumpled the form when no one was looking and threw it in the trash bin.

Even now, I honestly don't know what got into me that afternoon. Maybe, I was just so pissed off, knowing that I had to endure for one more time an unpleasant facet of my college life. Or maybe, I just got frustrated at what I perceived to be another inefficient redundancy in the process. For instance, the Graduation Clearance form was meant to clear students for graduation and the Diploma Clearance form was there to make sure students didn't have any pending dues with the school. These two purposes can in fact be accomplished with just one form, such that any student who wishes to graduate must also show that he has no pending dues or debts with the school.

Unless someone explains to me with perfect clarity and flawless logic the need for two separate forms, I will have to stick with my "One Form" idea.

But what upsets me the most is that such an obvious (and inconvenient) flaw in the process is even present in an institution which prides itself for its tradition in excellence. I had the same problem last year; I didn't get my diploma because I had to go after all those signatories. Now, a year later, I still had to do the same thing!

What should I do now? There is no escaping the current status quo: I still need my diploma. So now I'm thinking of hiring my brother to do the getting-my-diploma job for me. Outsourcing stress is already a booming industry, anyway; I might as well enjoy its benefits.

2 comments:

Ogs said...

atleast may kapatid kang pwede mong hingian ng favor no. ako on my own since i started in addu college (galing kasi ako spc, before i entered sa addu college - at naging classmate kita sa aking 1 sem psych fling). chill paw, alam ko kapoy ang process - pero that's life no shortcuts! rest if you must, but don't you quit! oh ayan.. shades of the old glory days of our formations.. no worry- no merits required :P

- Ogs

Unknown said...

Lolz. Thanks Ogs. Oo nga naman, walang shortcuts in life talaga pero kung may mas madaling paraan, bakit 'di yung ang sundin diba? Thanks ulit sa input, dude. Appreciate it.

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy