Powered by Blogger.

A Weird Christmas Memory

17 December 2009

Let me tell you something about what happened to me in high school. It's a pretty weird memory actually but it's worth writing down for posterity.

I actually remembered this while I was on my way home, when I was thinking about Christmases past. Like a brilliant flash of light, the memory flashed before my eyes and I was left grinning to myself afterwards.

It was after our class Christmas party. I think I was in third year then (or was it second year?). Earlier, there were already rumors about a haunted house somewhere in Champaca Street in Juna subdivision. Most of my classmates had already gone to visit the house, usually for sheer curiosity and usually in groups (which is a peculiar arrangement, come to think of it: daring yourself to go to a spooky place isn't as scary when you have companions in tow but it's certainly more fun).

Anyway, Cynthia Barriga and I had decided to come visit the place. I didn't know where the idea really came from (I guess it came from Cynthia) but, after the party, we were already off to Champaca street. After the tricycle driver dropped us off near the house (he rolled his eyes, apparently sensing that we were up to no good), we were on our own.

Well, not quite. You see, there were also a group of teenagers standing by near the entrance of the house (I think they also had the same idea). So Cynthia and I went inside the house and, lo and behold, she pulled out a rosary and started praying. What had been a sightseeing trip (at least for me) had turned to an amateur exorcism ritual. We ended up praying the whole rosary quickly then exited the building into the night.

Was it scary? Of course it was. The house was definitely abandoned and was very dark inside. I had a vivid imagination back then so all throughout the rosary, I kept "seeing" images popping out everywhere I looked. I remember swearing quietly back then, "What the hell where we thinking?" And until now, I still don't know the answer.

Maybe, Cynthia has another perspective about how things happened but this is my account. Haay... and nostalgia creeps in again.

Note: By the way, this post wasn't meant to be insightful.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy