Powered by Blogger.

Job Hunt

06 December 2009

Now that I'm about to be two months old in my new company, I thought it's high time to share a bit of info about my first job hunt.

Last year, I had it easy. By early March 2008, I already knew where I was going: Manila. I already had in hand a job offer from a consultancy firm and, unlike the rest of my batch mates, I was simply cruising along, waiting for my plane ride out of town.

This time around, things weren't that easy. I arrived in Davao City early June this year, with no job prospect and no idea about what the job market was in my own city. Fortunately, I was overconfident at that time, thinking that any person who had worked in Manila for over a year could easily land a job amidst the throng of desperate job hunters.

But I was wrong. One month stretched to two, then to three, then to four. I guess part of the blame about why it took me so long was my pacing. For a given day, I only spent about an average of three hours actually looking for a job, and the rest was spent blogging, reading, networking, and checking what's new in the internet.

But despite my inefficiencies, my job hunt was also lengthened by one simple fact: a job hunt is also a waiting game. And so, there were weeks when I didn't do anything but wait. Wait for that call. Wait for that email. Wait for something to happen. Wait for the right opportunity. Wait for some divine intervention.

It was extremely frustrating at best. The power to be hired is not with me after all, but with the person sitting across me with the pen and my resume. And sometimes, that person isn't really into me or is simply whiling away the time, with no intention of considering me at all.

Nevertheless, despite those times when I felt that my self-esteem was crumbling, despite those days when I thought nothing was going right, I can still say I am grateful that I had those four months.

Why? Well, because, just like everything in life, my first job hunt helped build my character even more. I learned to be more humble, to be more thankful about the blessings I have received, and to be more patient and considerate.

My parents had advised me earlier (more like "forewarned") that job hunting in Davao City is an especially lengthy process since HR departments around here aren't exactly fretting over how fast they can pump up personnel. Looking back at my experience, they were right after all but, still, I'm happy that all of that "stuff" happened to me.

Maybe, in the future, I can write more about those "stuff". But right now, I have to stop writing. I have a job tomorrow and, come morning, I'll be stressed all over again. Peace out.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy