Powered by Blogger.

Alcohol

19 September 2009

If you look at my photos in Facebook, you'll see a picture of a bottle of beer. Pansit, a former colleague, tagged almost all the residents, and guests, of the Casibang compound in that picture.

Since I'm not a hypocrite, I don't mind being tagged since the picture is meant (if I read Kuya Pansit's intention correctly) to symbolize the inuman sessions and the bonds created in that special place.

With that opening, I think it's time I share my views regarding alcohol. I maybe one of only few people who don't like drinking alcoholic beverages. However, I do drink if the situation warrants it. Thus, I hope people respect the fact that when I do drink with them, I do so because they're special, special enough for me to temporarily forget my aversion to alcohol.

If I remember right, my parents were not exactly close friends of Lucio Tan. They bought only red wine and that was only served during special occasions like Christmas, the Lord's Day, and what not. In recent history, we've had small gatherings at home but alcohol was never served. It could probably be that Papa was banning alcohol from the house - and away from us - or he didn't want to spend money making other people tipsy.

In effect, as far as I know, none of my siblings deliberately seek alcohol when the opportunity finds itself. Also, thanks to our parents' subtle screening, all of us were spared of watching people get down and drunk during our childhood years. Now that I'm older, I can see the value of what they've done and perhaps guess at the motive driving that behavior. A former colleague of mine, Lugay, once shared to the us that she avoided drinking or smoking in front of her siblings because that was a bad example to them. I believe my parents also shared her point of view. I don't want to let my siblings see me drink for the same reason too.

While in Manila, there was this one incident that particularly unnerved me. I asked Palang, another former colleague and a friend, what was in the inuman sessions that was quite appealing. She replied by saying that the main attraction was when people were already drunk and were more open to doing crazy stuff. That was when the fun really starts. As for me, I didn't like the idea of getting drunk just so my friends could see me humiliate myself (luckily, I haven't done anything yet that is juicy enough to be passed down to the next generation).

To cap this post, I advise again my fellow brethren to always drink with caution and moderation or, at most, avoid the alcohol as much as possible. It pains me to see kids younger than my age who revel in the act, knowing full well that they'll suffer the consequences later on. That's no way to live a life. Indeed, it is written that the great JC was a social drinker. But it is never written that he got drunk.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy