Powered by Blogger.

Profile Of A College Friend

07 March 2009

I will always have a bias towards writing in general. It's just that it’s so easy to pour yourself in writing than to speak your mind out.

I know someone in college who, I believe, also shares this sentiment. She's one of those people who loves to stay in the dark corners of the background.

I can't blame her though; she's just shy. But, goodness, when it comes to writing anything, anything at all, she's like a goddess. I guess being introvert can really help (which is why I'm also applying it to myself, exercising my mouth only when necessary. Plus, canker sores really hurt, you know?)

She's one of those people you just can't wait to hear talking about themselves. And as luck would have it, she did reveal something about herself one time ago.

That would be when we were already graduating students. It was the first semester of our last year. I had an elective in Psychology, Guidance and Counseling, and I had to look for a "problematic individual" to undergo a counseling session with me. By mere coincidence (and totally contrary to her character), she responded with a yes to my invitation. We had a videotaped session and she also wrote her answers on my notebook. As for what she wrote, read on:

Doubts and Insecurities
1.) Yes, Pao, I’m insecure over my height, so you don’t have to rub it in. This wasn’t really a problem for me, until my father told me I can never ride a Vespa because my legs are too short. Tear.

2.) I’m also a bit insecure about my writing abilities. I just don’t think I’m that good; more often than not, my written outputs are just hit-or-miss affairs.

3.) I’m also insecure about my body image. See, I have scoliosis, and it’s just BAD! I now hate my body because of it – unless I get surgery which I’m thinking of saving up for. And if you raise the subject of scoliosis (and why I’m insecure about it) with me, I will not talk about this with you, so don’t even try.

4.) I’m insecure about my parents. Actually, it’s just my father. I hate to be mean, but I think he’s “uncivilized”. He embarrasses me a lot because he blows his nose really loudly in public. And he gets drunk a lot. And he’s really loud and obnoxious; he has no control over his temper. Ah enough. And he has no taste whatsoever. Both my parents actually.

Most Favorite Quote
“Be kind; the person you meet may be fighting a harder battle.” – or something to that effect. Not that it’s really my favorite; it’s just the only one that came to mind. Again, “korni” kaayo ka Pao.

Reason for Being…
a.) an Atenean – I actually decided to become an Atenean when I was in my second year (going on third) in High School. Back then, I just suddenly decided that I want to transfer. I chose Ateneo because it’s an “elitist” school, and I wanted to challenge myself by being a “jologs” in an “elitist” school. Kidding, but that’s the idea more or less.

b.) an English Major – Because I’m good in English.

Favorite Food
I don’t see how this can be of any use in your subject. Anyway, I like fish. Fish fillet. Fried Fish. Sweet and sour fish fillet. I like anything fried, actually. Now that I think about it, I really don’t have a “favorite” food. So there.

Academic Problems
1.) Tardiness. Laziness. – I’m only tardy during my first classes. Reason: I sleep really late, so I find it really hard to wake up early. Plus, I only get up an hour before my class. Add to that the traffic at Bankerohan bridge. My tardiness is really my only academic problem. I would have gotten an FD in one class, if it hadn’t been for my high marks. Haha! And sometimes, when I’m really, really late, or when I feel so tired to come to class, I just skip class altogether. So that’s my second problem.

Family Problems
1.) My father – We don’t get along too well. No, we don’t really fight; we’re just not that close. His constant drinking and temper irritates me. I guess you can also say we have a generation gap. I find it impossible to talk to him about my personal life.

2.) Absentee siblings – My sister’s been away from home for more than ten years. Not really a problem.

3.) Age gap between my siblings and I – I think my other three siblings get along much better because their gaps only range 1 to 2 years. I’m much younger, so very often I feel left-out/ OP/ ”saling-pusa” when we’re together.

Favorite Music and Why
1.) Rock/ Alternative – No reason. I just grew up listening to it a lot because of my brothers.
2.) Oldies Music – Because my father listens to RJ 100.3 a lot, so I think I’ve developed a liking for it. Plus, I think I’m an “old soul” type.

Favorite Books and Why
1.) Coming-of-age books: I dunno. I can relate to them, I guess
2.) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by S. Chbosky: Easy to read.
3.) A Separate Peace by J. Knowles: Eloquent lang. Funny at times.
4.) Beasts by J.C. Oates: Short but packed. Easy to read. Haunting and disturbing.
5.) The Portrait of Dorian Gray by O. Wilde: Still haunting.
6.) N.P. by Banana Yoshimoto: Simple.
7.) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by H. Murakami: Simple yet thought-provoking.

Opinions on Politics, Issues
Kapoy lagi answer ani. I have too many opinions on politics and issues, so sorry ka na lang.

Talk about siblings and parents
I love my parents. I love my mama so much it makes me cry when I’m such a brat. I can’t imagine my mama dying.

Papa. I love him but there are moments when I think my life would be so much better without him.

My brother Lou. He’s a bum. He’s such a lazy person. And he’s such a slob, I’m always cleaning up after him. He’s wasted a lot of my mama’s money because he’s so lazy and complacent. I hope he gets married to a slave driver and becomes a hen-pecked husband so that he can be motivated to work harder.

My other brother Chino. We used to hate each other so much, but I’m glad we’ve outgrown that phase. We actually share the same temperament – we’re both moody. Anyway, he’s now working in Cebu. I like him because he is more sensible, and he’s a bit of a perfectionist, so I think his career will get along just fine. I also suspect he’s a closet homo. If he is, I hope he “comes out” so that he can stop being so stiff.

My ate. She’s the only sibling I address as “Ate” – the other two I don’t bother to call Kuya. Maybe it’s because I respect her too much. She left home when I was in Grade 1, and still continues to live life away from home. I don’t know her that well, really. But I think I’ve patterned my life after her, so she must be great.

Recent Deaths
Just my grandma and grand-uncle.

Regrets
High School – That I didn’t make enough friends.

Should I be grateful for what you just shared?
You should be. I just wasted two hours on this. I’m expecting a token of gratitude for this.

Current Projects
1.) Taking a writing project in Sarangani – I didn’t want to back down from the challenge (one of the very rare moments); I felt I needed the exposure… and the money.
2.) Rock Ed – I just wanted to be a part of something. And I want to make a small difference in my community. I just hope I push through with this one.
3.) Blogging.

If you may ask, “Was my counseling session with her successful?” Well…she was late for our graduation ceremonies. That’s all I can say. As for the token of gratitude, I never did give her any. I was poor then (and even now, I still am. Jeesh). But this also explains my motivation for putting this in my blog. You see, she said awhile back that nobody really knows her and a lot of people have these misguided notions about her. Hope this helps in setting things straight (if you could guess who she is, first). And I hope she’ll take this as my token of gratitude for saving my butt back then.

Note: Lest you say that I’m breaching client confidentiality, I asked her first if I could blog this. She said yes but only if her name is never mentioned (but we all know anonymity is so fleeting nowadays).

2 comments:

blueknight's sketches said...

I know her Pao. You told me about it.

Unknown said...

I did? Oh man...

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy