Powered by Blogger.

Dressing Up

21 March 2009

One of the problems with being Paolo Bataller is that the guy doesn't know how to dress up.

I admit it. For me, life was simpler back then when I had no "income" to speak of, when I was simply feeding off my parents' goodwill. Whenever I needed new apparel, I simply had to ask, make "padungog", or otherwise look grief-stricken (to digress, I remember this one time when I was in Grade 1 and my siblings had new, cool rubber shoes with lights flashing out of the soles. Envious, I ended up stroking their shoes in mournful worship whenever Mama was around to see me. And voila! Several days later, Papa had a gift for me: new rubber shoes. That was when I learned the fine art of acting).

In buying my new clothes, the script would go as follows: I would go to the deparment store with Papa, Mama and my sister in tow (my pro bono fashion consultants, so to speak), armed with a weapon of choice: an ATM or a credit card.

Then I let them take the lead. I would wander off somewhere, keeping up the facade that I'm intently looking for that fortunate piece of cloth that will grace my awesome physique (this is my blog. I can write anything I want).

But the truth of the matter is: I'm simply waiting for my consultants to make their recommendations and advise me on what I should wear. Besides, why should I labor with the existential dilemma of choosing what clothes are right for me when I can have dependable people to do it with gusto? So that's how it goes. My consultants recommend something. I wear it. I give a few opinions every now and then but I usually end up wearing what they suggest. Life is good. Until now.

Nowadays, I do my shopping alone and it bothers me how so mundane an activity can be so nerve-wracking. Is this right for me? What if this is too big? Do the colors make me darker or lighter? What am I doing here by the way? Is this the women's department? What if I do this later? I really need to eat...

Truth be told, I still don't like buying my own apparel. But thankfully, after several months of wearing the same clothes over and over again, I now have an idea about what I should wear:

Polos/Shirts- Large/Medium. Preferably no print, just plain. In blue, yellow, red, green, earth colors whatever. Just stay away from orange or neon green. Would like a rainbow of polos and shirts in the closet.

Shorts/Slacks/Pants- Waistline: 29 to 31 inches. No skinny jeans (Why wear something uncomfortable?). Plain style= no patterns, checkers, or stripes. For jeans, plain blue. For slacks, plain black.

Shoes- White rubber shoes and black leather shoes. Pointed shoes are a no-no.

Last but not the least, I don't go for accessories. I am not fond of wearing ornamental belts or anything resembling a welding shop. I also don't like arm/wrist bands for the irrational reason that they block off my circulation. I also don't go for shades, or scarves or what not.

To sum it up, if there is one fact that I want my clothes to say, it would be this: I am Paolo Bataller and I AM A SIMPLE GUY.

3 comments:

Junkie. said...

I happen to be a very good stylist. Ask Paddy. Haha. I make a very good shopping buddy too! :) I can be your shopping buddy/personal shopper! Hahaha..

Unknown said...

Pwede, Paige!

Junkie. said...

Hahaha.. Let me know when you're planning to blow all your cash on things you don't really need but are buying anyway coz i tell you they make you look cool. :)

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy