Powered by Blogger.

Museum Visit

21 March 2010

Now, I finally did what every true-blooded Dabawenyo should do: Visit the museum.

There was a new Museum in town right along Magallanes street and I happened to chance along one Saturday afternoon to visit it. Outside, the architecture of the building was characteristically modern with a slight tinge of Spanish taste. Girded by concrete walls, the museum was a closed, air-conditioned bahay-na-bato renovated to look more historical yet more sturdy as well.

As I entered, I was mentally preparing myself for the exorbitant entrance fee I would pay. Surprisingly, there was none of that and I was simply invited by the staff to write down my name on the log book.

Afterwards,I was off to the first room, which was an exhibit showcasing the various tribes endemic to the Davao Gulf. There were several artifacts arranged on the floor and a stationery tableau set full of dressed-up mannequins in the center.

To digress, it was interesting to point out that the collaborators didn't make an effort to make these mannequins - which were the department store variety types- look more like us. There were the long, pointed noses, the fair complexion, and the tall physiques. Guess they couldn't find statues which resembled the more ordinary natives of Davao.

I was also appalled by the many typos in the various tarpaulins giving information. Most of the information in these tarps by the way were lifted, albeit carelessly, from Sir Mac's books and I could only cringe at why Sir Mac would allow such error-infested information guides be displayed in the first place.

I was then led to another room, showing off other historic memorabilia during Davao City's early years. I was also treated to a gallery of Datu Bago awardees and some pictures circa wala-pa-man-ko-nabuhi-aning-panahuna-years. Finally, I got to see an exhibit full of creations by two artists whose names escape me.

What struck me deeply was the paucity of the collections. There were only several items of interest and, most often, these were donated by the more affluent members of the city's society. Well, it only goes to show that history is indeed shaped by the powerful, both in creating it and reliving it.

Now, it's time to cross out one item on my bucket list.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy