Powered by Blogger.

Playing Matchmaker

17 July 2013

Right now, I have a classmate who happens to be an acquaintance of another classmate who happens to be quite pretty. They've been classmates in high school and, from what I see, are comfortable with each other. That's why I've been trying to play Cupid with the guy classmate. So far, my efforts have been in vain but, if he's reading this right now, I might get my point across.

You see, there's one diagnostic tool I'm familiar with in discerning if one has feelings for another. It's simple and here's how it works:

First, some reference guides: name of boy is Boy and name of girl is Girl. Of course, the tool still works if the parties were reversed but, for the sake of this example, I'm impressing on Boy to make the move. Okay, here goes.

Step 1. Chance upon Boy and Girl having a chat together. When Girl leaves, sit beside the Boy.
Step 2. Tell the Boy that he and Girl look good together. Then, tell him: "'Ligawa siya, bai (Court her)." Or anything to that effect.
Step 3. Listen carefully to the response. If the response is "We're just friends" or somewhere on that line, then Boy absolutely has no feelings for Girl. However, if the response is "Naa man siyay uyab (She has a boyfriend)", then Boy harbors feelings of infatuation for Girl, feelings that have yet to surface and are instead suppressed.

What's the rationale behind the tool? Well, the first response is a statement of fact while the second is a blatant rationalization of non-action by the convenient placement of a barrier, ideally a third party, to any development in the relationship higher than platonic friendship. Whew. 

So what now? Social decency tells me to stay away and not meddle in other people's affairs. Well, let's just say I'm willing to push some more buttons before I call this experiment off.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy