Powered by Blogger.

Fraternities

25 November 2012

Now that the first semester of my law school life is over, the question begs itself: what do I think about fraternities in law school?

If I were to ask myself now if I'll ever join one, the answer would be an emphatic no. There's simply no point in joining at all.

Of course, one would argue that joining a fraternity can do wonders in expanding one's connections, something that will prove to be vital once one is already a lawyer, but still the act of joining a fraternity is not a necessary part of surviving law school.

Studying is admittedly a solitary activity and so is passing law school and eventually the Bar. Fraternities have nothing to do with how well you study or how well you fail.

As for the argument for "connections", a classmate has this to say: If you're smart, people will eventually gravitate towards you (actually, he spoke this in Bisaya but it sounds better in English).

At this point, let me stress that I'm not against fraternities. Some people need it. Some people don't. And for some who willingly subject themselves to humiliation through initiation (like the suckers who visit the office to perform errands for Cathy, an office mate who's a sorority senior), maybe they sincerely believe it's all worth it to be part of the clique.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy