Powered by Blogger.

Lectors of San Pablo

12 July 2009

Last night, I had the opportunity to catch up with a group of acquaintances in Davao: the Lectors and Commentators of San Pablo Parish. They were having their monthly meeting and I thought of joining them just to see some more familiar faces.

How I got involved in this group stretches back when I was still a college kid. As an English major, I was looking for ways to enhance my communication skills and Mama had the idea of me trying out for a spot in our church's lectors. Fortunately, there was an "audition" for lectors in our church one Saturday night and I was lucky enough to join it.

So that was the beginning and, ever since then, I've read the scriptures countless times for countless masses. What impressed me about the group (and kept me going, I should add) was the spirit of volunteerism. For something as mundane as reading Bible scriptures for the mass, we still had to sacrifice a bit of our personal time and resources in order to do so.

Last night, I met once again the usual suspects: Ate Cris, si Tatay, Sir Alex, Attorney Cruzabra, Ate Agnes, Bernie, In-in, Elaine, Ate Hannah, Jonah, Ate Eva, the indefatigable mother-daughter duo: Ate Effie and Ylen. Add to that were some new recruits, professionals and youth alike. Sadly, there were some people I hoped to see but who weren't there, like Ate Cathy, Ma'am Susan, Sir Ronald, and the rest who weren't able to make it for the evening's gathering ( I sure do hope they are not yet part of the attrition rate).

Honestly, even before I arrived for the meeting, I already had reservations about joining it. I wasn't sure if I would still belong, considering I've been missing in action for quite some time now and the last time I met these guys was last year during the Christmas party.

But I was touched because I was still warmly welcomed by the group despite my year-long absence. Sure, there were some questions about where on Earth I was but I have to admit that I was deeply moved when they smiled, greeted and chatted with me (You really have to start cherishing and loving these people, Pao). Despite the simplicity of the gestures, those were enough to get me started again.

And, boy, am I getting started, with my own set of masses to serve. And truth be told, I really love second beginnings and I also love this group. Peace out.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy