Powered by Blogger.

Questioning The SK

01 May 2009

I was never part of the SK or the Sangguniang Kabataan. That's because my family was never into politics anyway and my interests lay somewhere during my high school and college years. But over the years, I've heard a lot of opinions regarding SK and they have not been, shall we say, very encouraging.

But before I go into that, what is the purpose of SK? The standard answer would be that it is an organization which aims to nurture and develop youth leaders into future public servants through their active collaboration in the duties of government. That's the ideal, anyway.

Next question, why am I tackling SK? I said to myself once that I would remain silent and suspend my judgement on political issues for as long as possible. The reasoning was that there is already too much talk, too many opinions, too much philandering and garbage surrounding these issues that to talk about them risk moving away from the truth. And the truth in political issues can never be found in the first instance but in the many occasions where the parties involved have to divulge them out of fear or necessity. Hence, that explains the need to suspend judgement, pending for more information.

But SK is different. It is different because almost everybody already knows what's happening inside it. For most municipalities, it is a breeding ground for corruption, where higher powers treat these youth leaders as minions to be taught the exquisite trade of cheating the masses. Sure, the SK still develops leaders but the quality of leaders it produces is highly questionable.



I am fortunate enough that I got a insider's view of the workings of SK from Kit Loma, my roommate and a former SK President at that. Even he admits that SK should be abolished because of the many experiences he has had (Maybe in a later post, I'll write them here but not now.). I also admit that there are still some SK leaders who are honest in their intentions and deeds but, sadly, they are still not saved from being exposed to the evil machinations of the people surrounding them.

To end this brief (and, yes, very incomplete) post, all I can say to the youth is that if you are really willing to run for an SK position, then by all means, go for it if that's really what you want. But for the rest who are still deliberating on this matter, I suggest you don't pursue SK. You're young and talented and oh-so idealistic. You still have principles and values to be formed, intrinsic qualities of You that might otherwise be shredded and discarded if you join an organization such as SK. "For the sake of the country's future", stay away from SK and let it die a quiet death.

Better to go for those youth-oriented NGOs who actually teach you how to be servant-leaders. They may be dirt-poor but at least they won't teach you how to steal money.

1 comment:

Lemuel Kit said...

True... I don't think changing some provisions on the organization's bylaws will help. The only way to stop older politicians from polluting young people's mind is to abolish the org and realign the government's funds instead to youth-oriented non-government organizations...

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy