Powered by Blogger.

My Take On A Moro-Islamic State

21 October 2011

I remember a class I had with Dr. Macario Tiu (T-Mac) back in college. We were discussing Mindanao and the need, or rather, the want for a Moro-Islamic state surfaced in the lecture. He asked me what my opinion was about this burning question: should the Philippine government concede to the wishes of the Muslim secessionists and carve out an Islamic state out of Mindanao? My answer was a firm no, citing that the Muslims weren't ready for self-government.

Ever the sage, T-Mac asked me why and what criteria was I applying. That's when I realized I was seeing the issue from an unacceptable perspective, my perspective. I was speaking as I was, a Filipino citizen on Mindanao's soil. Although my assumption was correct, that Muslims weren't politically fit for self-rule (as evidenced by their leaders' increasing arrogance, corruption, and apathy), I also summarily dismissed their case because they didn't meet the benchmarks that I've arbitrarily set upon them.

Looking back, I think the question is best answered by those who will actually carry the burden of self-rule: the Moro people. They should be the ones who should answer because they are the ones who can assess, for themselves, if they are up to the challenge. They alone can assess their strengths, their weaknesses. In short, they should be the ones setting the criteria, the ones who should be answering the question: Are we ready? Are we ready for a separate state?

The problem nowadays is that the voice of the Moro majority is muffled, distorted. The people who do the talking are the ones who hold the guns, who hold the power. MNLF and MILF rebels push for separatism. Some political warlords push for the same thing. Both claim they represent their constituents but you can never know. The Moro people want peace but, somehow, that message is seemingly lost among their leaders. The Moro people clamor for development and security but, again, that need never comes across.

I cannot speak for the Moro people no more can my fellow Dabawenyo speak for them. But, if there should be any talk about a Moro-Islamic State, I believe the Moro people should be the ones on the negotiation table, not the rebels nor the politicos who claim they know who they stand for.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy