Powered by Blogger.

If I Were A Developer

31 October 2011

There's another subdivision project being developed along Quimpo Boulevard. They've started the landfill about early last year and cutting down a few trees to make way. It's going to be another exclusive subdivision, which is quite ironic since along its supposed boundaries is a barangay full of squatters.

But, I digress. The question for me, this morning, is: what if I were a developer? What would be the defining characteristics of any project I would choose to develop?

So, let's dream, shall we?

If I were a developer, I want to be known, top of mind, as the greenest developer there is. It is a generally accepted fact that the construction industry is among the greatest polluters of all time and I want to change that image. How do I do that? I can start by changing the way subdivision projects are developed.

First stop, location. If I were a developer, I would choose areas which are more or less developed already. These maybe abandoned warehouse grounds, former quarry sites or garages. I would specialize in converting industrial zones into potential residential sites. Definitely, I would lower my costs in development especially if I'm good at lobbying the government to re-zone unused sites. Not only that, I don't have to deal with filling the land anymore or clearing it of vegetation or otherwise solving drainage issues along the way. 

But if I were not so lucky, I would choose sites which will put the least amount of stress on the surrounding environment, such as those near urbanized areas already. That way, I can minimize urban sprawl and habitat loss. I would also make sure that I preserve the majority of trees that are already there, even go as far as adapt my subdivision plan to not disturb their root beds. I would make trees a focal point in my project and will go to lengths to ensure that the roads and the lots do not go through them but instead showcase them as they appear.

Second stop, ceaseless adoption of green technologies. My roads will be made of permeable concrete, which will preserve water quality and reduce water runoff from precipitation. Other than that, my roads will be part of a greater infrastructure to generate clean energy. They will house underground pipes housing fluids, which will absorb the heat taken in by the roads, and, in turn, transfer the collected heat to exchangers which will, in turn again, power turbines to generate electricity.

I'll also make it a point to put in place stricter waste segregation policies and adopt more green technologies as they go, from replacing concrete pavement with greener alternatives or implanting foliage specially know for reducing air pollution and sustaining endemic species.

Third stop, market introduction of green building standards. I'll mainly be catering to high-end clients who put exclusivity and security at the top of their priorities. Why is this important? That's because they'll be more amenable to adopting building codes which, although sustainable, are also expensive. I'll be offering them the opportunity of residing in one of the country's premier subdivision estates in exchange for making their homes more environment-friendly. That means subjecting their building plans to LEED standards and, as a corollary, challenging the local community of architects and engineers to think greener.

Hopefully, this conscious program to raise awareness for green building will have a trickle-down effect, summarily encouraging other local developers to adopt the same standards.

If I were a developer, these will be the things that I will do.Unfortunately, the current developers that we have aren't gifted with the same degree of imagination.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy