Powered by Blogger.

Teaching Some Manners

11 December 2010

JM is a kid. He's the son of Ate Judith, our househelp before. One day, I was buying something in the sari-sari store and he was tagging along.

Then, he positioned himself in front of the concrete wall beside the store and began pissing. He was smiling sheepishly at me and I noticed I was furrowing my eyebrows.

Back home, I confronted him sternly. " Wala ko ganahi sa imong gibuhat", I remember saying when I started my brief sermon. "Una, pakita kag respeto sa silingan nimo. Kung nakakita man siya sa imo nga nangihi sa iyahang pader, ganahan kaya siya ana? Ikaduwa, dili ka iro. Tao ka. Pangita ug tarong na lugar kung asa ka mangihi. Duol lang kaayo ang balay. Ngano didto pa ka mangihi sa daplin?"

Of course, the kid didn't talk to me for a long time but I sure could say I got my point across. Personally, I also believe it's high time that we teach men some manners.

Peeing in public is one issue that readily comes to mind. Filipino men are quite notorious when it comes to this. Obviously, there are some scenarios which warrant and allow such kind of behavior. Being stuck in a deserted place with no comfort room in sight is one such scenario.

However, if I were in a downtown area and I know there are comfort rooms nearby which I can use, then why would I pee in public? Yet, most of us men resort to this. One chief reason is because it's more convenient. It's more convenient to pee right there and then than walk around looking for a comfort room with your bladder about to burst.

Clearly, we're definitely not masters of delayed gratification and that's a worrying thought. This only shows that we're not masters of discipline as well since we would rather act like dogs in public rather than suffer a minor yet temporary difficulty. It's a shame really because such a behavior, such a lack of discipline, often makes itself manifest in other more serious acts, which, in turn, bear heavier consequences to ourselves and to others.

Peeing in public is more than an obnoxious, commonplace spectacle. It's a symptom of a collective sickness in need of a remedy.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy