Powered by Blogger.

Revisiting Arnis

12 September 2010

It was my Tita G's forty-day anniversary (She passed away earlier this year) and we were having a dinner salu-salo at my Lola's house to celebrate the day.

Out of the blue, my uncle, Bingbong (who is actually younger than me), brandished his arnis stick. He had to leave early because he still had to practice.

I was surprised and for good reason. You see, my uncle isn't exactly the sporty or the warrior type of guy. Bingbong is thin and would fit better in an internet cafe rather than in a gym full of flying sticks. But there he was, saying he had to go because he still had arnis practice.

I sampled one of his sticks. Hmmm. Not bad; not too light but not too heavy either. The guy knew how to select his rattan (unlike me who would go for the aesthetically pleasing varnished sticks which weighed like feathers). I then asked him the name of his group and I was again surprised when he uttered, "MK".

Mandirigmang Kaliradman.

MK was the group I joined back in college and it was also the same group I visited when I went to Manila. So before Bingbong left, we had small talk about what had happened to the group over the past years.

As for me, I haven't wielded a stick since early last year. I don't know. Maybe, I just don't have the time to rekindle this passion.

But I still would like to practice again, even if it means going back to Level 1. Bingbong had invited me to come aboard again but I knew it wasn't the right time yet. I still have lots of stuff I must do and returning back to arnis is the least of my priorities right now.

Maybe next year. Next year then.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy