Powered by Blogger.

Trust

28 October 2013

I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Trust is a precious commodity. I bet every unfaithful lover caught in the act can attest to this. As for me, I can honestly say that I'm a very trusting person and I've been burned several times because of this.

What is trust? Trust, as defined, is the "firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something." It not only refers to my belief of the veracity of your statements but also my belief that you'll adhere to your character and principles despite adverse circumstances or my absence.

A teacher of mine once remarked that he can never trust a student again the moment that student breaks his trust. He confided that he is probably the most trusting person in the world but once someone betrays his trust, that someone can never get it back. Ever.

The same goes for me. There have been times when I believed in someone enough to know that he or she's going to do the right thing. Then the moment comes when that person thinks, "Just this once..." and does the act.

Then the inevitable happens. I discover the act. My trust in the person is broken. I never look at the person the same way. At worst, I burn the bridge and that person is dead to me. At best, I remain civil but the road to renewed friendship is not in the cards.

I can forgive if I want to but trusting that person again is something I can no longer do.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy