Powered by Blogger.

Networks

28 October 2013

"Develop your network."

That's probably the most important advice I got from a client last week. John Paul, a colleague, and I were on a sales call and the client, having noticed that we were young, mentioned - no - stressed this to us.

Earlier this year, Sir Rey, one of our bosses in the office, gave me his own piece on the importance of networks. Looking to increase his circle of acquaintances, he joined the Rotary Club, promptly subjecting himself to the weekly meetings and the monthly association dues that came with it. Over the years, he had benefited from the move, both in terms of his career and of the number of people he can approach regarding some personal concerns. What impressed me the most was how he could interject names or refer personalities in a conversation effortlessly.

There was also this guy, a real estate developer, who can arrange for a deal fast because he knew all the significant brokers in the city. He was also fascinating to talk with and you could imagine how much power he wielded mainly by hanging on to this network of friends, family, and professional colleagues. After all, brokering is not a matter of high IQ but is chiefly about relationships.

I want to get to that level too. How I wish I could simply barge into any office and immediately exchange pleasantries with a familiar face. How I wish I can strike a conversation just as easily as the next guy. Admittedly, despite my job, I'm still an introvert at heart and, sometimes, an outcast. 

Still, it's fun to dream what I can be. So watch out world. I'm getting there.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy