Powered by Blogger.

Nothing's New Under The Sun

15 February 2009

Ever get the feeling that every idea you've come up with is no longer new and original? Well, that's how I feel.

Take for instance, my idea for a story simply consisting of a series of letters (Letters for Duncil, my project which is classified "in limbo"). I thought I had pretty fresh stuff back then until I got hold of the book, Last Days of Summer, which also had the same idea! Someone had thought about it first.

Another is my idea for a sleep vest for weary bus passengers, a vest which keeps the dozing wearer strapped onto the seat instead of bobbing side to side as the bus twists and turns. Little did I know there are already less elaborate (and I daresay less "functional") neck cushions available.

Or take my idea for a metropolis filled with green roofs or, better yet, squatter houses acting as mini-power plants because they're juiced up by solar panels on their tin roofs (business plan to follow). But someone had already thought about that (evidence is Discovery Channel's Ecopolis and Holcim's award to a city council in South America).

Oh well, I guess that's one disadvantage of being born late: almost everything had been thought up. But then again, I have other ideas in store. A short story which is strictly bilingual, a screenplay of the short stories of a writer I like, a memoir of my parents' love life, a website that will contain the links to all your social networking sites/tools so you'll just have to access them all with a single password (Please don't take this away from me. This is my baby) or a Web 2.0 site for married couples.

Or maybe I can write an alternative history/biography of Paolo Ray E. Bataller. That's one idea nobody has ever thought of before.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 1:9

1 comment:

Dom Cimafranca said...

Be patient, Pao. It'll come.

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy