Powered by Blogger.

Lord's Day

25 August 2014

Last Saturday, I celebrated the Lord's Day with my fellow community members in Ang Lingkod ng Panginoon. It was my second time to be part of such a celebration for this year. 

It also brought back a lot of childhood memories. My parents, as members of Couples for Christ, also celebrated the Lord's Day when my siblings and I were still young. We attended Lord's Day dinners with other families and we also had intimate Saturday and Sunday celebrations at home.

I was mesmerized by the ritual that went with the occasion. I looked forward to eating the lechon manok, a rare specialty back then, and the soup: instant concoctions back when ready-mix soup packets were still a new fad. I also relished drinking the red wine, my first encounter with alcohol, and learned an early lesson on moderation (because if you drank the whole thing, there won't be any left for the rest of the family). 

Gradually though, the Lord's Day faded from our weekly lives. We, as a family, grew old and grew busy. 

So it was a pleasant surprise that my new community actually observes the Lord's Day every now and then. It's a welcome throwback for me to relive this part of my childhood and to observe it, this time, with a more mature mind. 

That Saturday night, celebrating the Lord's Day was a paradox: it was an occasion that was both new and old.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy