Powered by Blogger.

Dissecting A Frog

11 March 2013

My sister had a problem last Sunday.

She's in second year high school and one of the tasks in their biology class is to catch a frog for an experiment.

Apparently, the one tasked in their group to catch a frog didn't catch one and my sister was hoping that the other groups have the same predicament.

I remember the time when I was in second year high school. The objective was the same and, among my group mates, I was the one tasked to catch a frog. I remember trying to look for a frog at night with a slight drizzle in the air.

Fortunately, the subdivision adjacent to ours still had vacant areas overgrown with grass and shrubs. It was a good place to hunt. Armed with a Stick-O jar and a hand wrapped in cellophane, I caught two small frogs that night.

The following day, just before our biology class, my classmates told me that there was a frog in the boy's CR. Presumably, it got there because another student brought the frog inside the CR, accidentally released it, and, scared to death of touching a live amphibian, left it there on the floor. I found it in one of the cubicles and was pleased that, this time, the frog was actually a toad, a big toad, that is.

During biology class, my group dissected the toad I caught while one of the two frogs I caught the night before was donated to my crush's group (because they were almost all girls and nobody dared catch a frog).
So we proceeded in dissecting the animal. On its place we placed a cotton swab, doused with something that would make it go limp. We crucified it using pins stuck through each feet. We cut the skin with a scalpel, sliced through the muscle, split the sternum, and opened the frog's abdomen for the world to see. Then, we stared at the organs and identified each according to the diagrams in our worksheet: the heart, the liver, the lungs, the stomach, intestines, eggs, fats etc. After that, we threw the carcass because we had no use for an opened-up frog.

That was my first glimpse of animal cruelty.

The sad part is I didn't know what I did was wrong.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy