Powered by Blogger.

Being More Critical About What Songs We Appreciate

01 January 2012

I remember one time when I was in the CFC (Couples For Christ) Office near SM. I was an active YFC (Youth For Christ, just so you'll know) member back then and we were enjoying a lull before the start of our rehearsal for a play. Some of us had managed to whip out a guitar and were "jamming", belting out some of the more popular songs during those times. 

One of the songs they sang was "Hot In Here" by Nelly (because it was cool to listen to, I presume). Inevitably, someone, I think it was Kuya Louie, thought aloud saying, "Unya, kasabot mo sa kanta? (So, do you understand the song?)" He wasn't being inquisitive at all but instead was critical about what the song was and why some of us were even singing it.

A closer look at the song's lyrics would lead one to appreciate what he was suggesting with his pointed question. The song was all about a lifestyle we frowned upon as YFCs and yet we were singing it, presumably ignorant about the song's message. 

More recently, I asked my younger sister if she understood her favorite song (At that time, it was Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" which she listened to for hours and hours). She answered matter-of-fact that she didn't and she simply liked to listen to it because of the way it sounded (Typical teenager).

Still another instance occurred when my colleagues and I visited Calinan to attend the christening of Alex's baby daughter. During lunch, one of the songs being played was "Teach Me How To Dougie" by California Swag District. I wasn't a fan of the song to begin with so when the song started playing, I shuddered and hoped that the many children (most were babies actually) in the venue hall wouldn't seriously listen to it. Still, it bugged me that someone would be willing to listen to a song with the word "fuck" and bitch" interspersed in the lyrics and even put it in a soundtrack for a children's event. Or maybe, that someone wasn't closely listening at all.

My point is simply this. I repeat this post's title: we have to be more critical about what songs we appreciate. Most of us simply appreciate a song because it sounds good but we also have to be mindful of the song's lyrics. The songs that we like reflect what we are and I would rather be caught dead listening to the Happy Birthday song on my earphones than, say, listening to another sexist, stereotypical rubbish some insist is music.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy