Powered by Blogger.

A Job In Government?

11 July 2010

I remember my first orientation session with the Civil Service Commission some time ago. We were in the second floor of their building in Ecoland, listening to a woman talk about how good it would be to start our careers working for the government. I was a college dude back then and wasn't entirely sure about my job prospects considering that I was an English major. A job in the government wasn't such a bad deal.

Now, I know better.

Over lunch, I listen to some colleagues of mine talk about how fortunate it would be to be part of the government's work force. The benefits are obvious: job stability, good benefits, and, most importantly, "no stress". And by that last item, I mean that there's absolutely no pressure to perform since you are the government.

I guess that last item is consistent with reality because caricatures about government still persist and are still, in fact, true. Think about government and one conjures words like bureaucracy, red tape, snail pace etc. And the amazing part is that everyone's resigned to that idea. That's why in transactions involving government agencies, one can readily say, every time deals drag for months, the phrase "Gobyerno kasi" without risking being doubted or questioned. In short, government is the whipping dog of today's society.

Even if I were to go job hunting again, I guess the furthest thing from my mind would be to look for a job in government. Practically speaking, that's a non-option. I believe everyone who ever got a position in government did so not solely by their own merit but by the intervention of a backer. I don't have that and, besides, that kind of system sucks (pardon the pun, if you got the idea). But a more profound reason would be because being employed in government lends with it certain "risks". There's the risk of succumbing to workplace habits which are undoubtedly undesirable. And even more sinister, there's the risk of succumbing to corruption, to mediocrity, and to plain boredom, none of which make for a better employee, let alone, a better human being.

Given all this, working for the government now isn't really something I endeavor to do. I know I'm not strong enough and I know that there are temptations strewn across that certain career path, temptations which, if one is a lesser mortal, are powerful enough to change and debase one's core values and honor.

Besides, the private sector is way more fun.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy