Powered by Blogger.

To Sir Bong

04 January 2010

Hello Sir Bong,

Sorry this took so long. I was thinking of doing this earlier but I figured out I'd need at least an entire year to finally realize your legacy.

Do you remember January 9, 2009, Sir Bong? Yep, I hope you do. That was a fateful day, to say the least. I remember feeling uneasy back then when you didn't return to your desk. You had a meeting then with the President and CEO and the Vice-President for HCM. I had thought that you were finally getting regularized but it seemed odd that you didn't return after the meeting to tell us the good news.

By next week, we had all heard the news. You were getting axed. So much for our plans for 2009.

Looking back, I guess it was for the better good and I'm sure you also felt the same way. But it still makes me sad thinking about what could have happened to us if you didn't go away. Perhaps, the Marketing boys would still be in the same company. Perhaps, we could have made a difference in 2009, considering that we've cleaned up almost all our backlogs. Perhaps, we could have justified our existence then if we had been given the chance. Perhaps, we could have made a difference.

I remember getting frustrated then because, in all honesty, you were the only reason why I chose to stay. And, by seeing you go, I knew none of us three would last long in the company. You were the glue that kept us together and, without you, it was difficult to see a future in BT.

Coincidentally, I happened to read back then an email article for employees. One item in that article told me that it was wrong to leave the company because of the people. Now, I could confidently say that point is definitely wrong. Leaving or staying in a company because of its people is a perfectly legitimate reason and, in this light, allow me to honor you and to thank you for being my mentor and for being a foster father while I was there in Manila.

Thank you Sir Bong for all the encouragement you've given me so far. You were by far the greatest encourager I have ever known and probably the best boss I will ever encounter in my entire career.

I remember the many times that we had let you down (Remember Gian? Hehe.) but what simply amazes me was that you were always on our side. I also remember the many times you delegated work to us with a resounding "Kaya mo yan, dude!" as if you truly believed that we actually knew what had to be done. I remember the times when you looked so vulnerable but wasn't ashamed to hide it from us.

You are a very special man, Sir Bong, and I'm deeply glad that I saw you in action: always motivating and always encouraging other people to greatness. Maybe, in the future, I can be more like you as I'm trying to do now with my colleagues and friends.

Happy new year, Sir Bong. And, like the one leper who returned to Jesus after he was healed, I'm making it known to you that I'm very grateful. Peace out.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy