Powered by Blogger.

"Walang Iwanan"

03 November 2008

And I thought I'll be coming home to Davao for good.

Just had a talk with my boss this afternoon. Told himI'll be submitting my 30 days notice on November 5 but I ended up committing to stay until December instead.

Only two words made the difference. Never mind what he said about me being good, competent and all that cake (which I'm not anyway. I'm not a marketing person.). When he said, "Walang iwanan", I knew I could not simply resign.

Before that, I had my little spiel all tucked in my mind. I don't like my job because: it involves working with people who, shall we say, are "interesting". Perhaps, a better way to say it is I don't like my job because it involves working with people, period. You see, I am an introvert by heart and as much as I want to reach out, talk to people, approach them, that is one part of me which I can never reject. As I said then, " Mas gugustuhin ko pa yung trabaho kung saan kalaban mo lang ang utak mo". Or in other words, I like a job where my success in work is not contingent on other people but only through my own efforts.

Well, apparently, I would have wanted to say that I'm really missing my family. But, among the "grass weeds", who isn't?

So I was stuck there with my boss as he explained that we all have to stick it out until the work gets done and we have to do it together. Our department is what it is now because our predecessors, shrewdly realizing the immensity of the work, chose to resign.

Walang iwanan. That struck a chord.

In all honesty, I was not thinking of merely walking away. I was determined to finish all my deliverables by December 5. But now, things have changed. I'm staying on till December. I'm going to work my head off till Christmas comes. By then, I'll finally decide if I am to stay or leave. By that time, nobody is stopping me.

Now, do I like my job? I'm not pretending anymore. Gone are the days when I psyche myself up, saying I love marketing. I don't and I'm taking off my mask. I was simply thrown here by circumstance. But God knows I want to make things better before I leave. I'm sticking with this stupid job and I'll give it my best.

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. " - Romans 5:3-4

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy