Powered by Blogger.

Grieve

17 June 2012

Last Friday Night, I claimed that the word "grieve" did not exist.

My office mates and I were walking down Ponciano and spotted a sign on one of the salon shops. It read that the establishment was temporarily closed because the employees were attending a wake for a colleague's relative. 

The phrase used in the sign was "we grieve" and I immediately shot back that it should be mourn as in "we mourn". Pressed for an explanation by Henry and Grace, I said that there was no such thing as the word "grieve", just "grief" and "grieving". 

Even now, I still wonder what made me so confident to issue that proclamation. My best guess is that I thought the word "grieve" was so awkward in any sentence that I believed it didn't exist at all. 

It also caught me thinking how many words have I discarded over the years for the sole reason that they looked disjointed and weird whenever I use them. Hmmm...

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy