Powered by Blogger.

Examen

07 April 2012

It's a shame. I've studied in Ateneo de Davao for sixteen long years and only when I graduate do I learn how to do an examen. 

For those who are also as ignorant as I was, the examen is a prayer technique practiced by the Jesuits which involves short sessions of reflection over what has transpired during the day. Some liken it to a "pit stop" to recollect the mind, gather focus once more, before going out again to the outside world.

As mentioned, during my entire stay in Ateneo, no one ever taught us this technique. It was only when I read Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney that I was first introduced to the examen.

Right now, I'm trying to do it every day but I'm clearly struggling with the prayer. The issue with it is discipline, or rather, the lack of it. Usually, I do it during the long commute home but I easily get distracted along the way. I also have tried doing it before I go to sleep but, most often, I'm so tired I forget. Anyway, this examen is still something I accept as a challenge and I intend to continue doing it until it becomes a habit.

For those who are interested, here's a good link to the proper way of doing the examen.

No comments:

 

Pangitaa Gud

Ang Pulong Sa Ignoy